1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NTSC to PAL

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by wilkes, Aug 3, 2003.

1. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

How can I copy an NTSC DVD to a PAL DVD-R?
    I have these discs I bought in the states, but want PAL versions instead of NTSC.
    Anybody?

2. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

NTSC (Video) DVD (29.97i Fps) -> PAL DVD (25i Fps)
    Run DVD2AVI and load the decrypted VOBs using the "Open" item in the "File" menu (you need to choose only the first one of a sequence).
    Check the "None" item in the "Field Operation" sub-menu of the "Video" menu.
    Choose the desired audio track number (usually "Track 1") in the "Track Number" sub-menu of the "Audio" menu.
    Check the "Demux" item in the "Dolby Digital" sub-menu of the "Audio" menu.
    Check the "Auto Select" item in the "Channel Format" sub-menu of the "Audio" menu.
    Check the "Off" item in the "48 -> 44.1 KHz" sub-menu of the "Audio" menu.
    Select the "Save Project" item in the "File" menu.
    Choose a location and filename for the DVD2AVI project name. A small text file with the D2V extension will be created, and the audio track specified above will be extracted from the VOB into an AC3 file in the same location.

NOTE: Cancel the Wizard dialog box which appears when you run TMPGEnc.

Load the "DVD (PAL)" template into TMPGEnc.
    Load the "unlock" template (located in the "Extra" directory).
    Select "Video only" in the "Stream type" region.
    Specify the location and name of the "Output file name" with an M2V extension.
    In the "Rate control mode:" field, choose the type of encoding you want. Multi-pass variable bit rate (VBR) settings produce better quality, but take longer to encode. Choose your bit rate based on quality desired, length of video, size of AC3 above, size of other files that will be on the destinaion disc, and the size of destination medium. Do not exceed 9800 kbit/sec.
    Choose "Motion estimate search (fast)" or "Highest quality (very slow)" in the "Motion search precision:" field on the "Video" tab of the "Setting" dialog.
    Press "Start" to convert, and encode the video.
    Author and Burn Your DVD
    At this point your audio and video files are ready to be authored and burned to a DVD. Various methods exist for this, which are beyond the scope of this Standards Conversion document.

3. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Thank you very much for your rapid reply.
    Authoring is not a problem, as I already own the necessary kit, it was a lack of knowledge that was the problem.
    I'll try it out tomorrow.
    Once again, my thanks.
    new to DVD-Video, more of a DVD-Audio man usually.Just one more question.
    I looked up TMPGEnc, and it's a limited version unless I buy it. Will Adobe Premiere 6.5 do this job, as I've already bought that. If not, I guess it's wallet time!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2003
  4. Yuriv

Yuriv Regular member

Just to give you an option, you can use the freeware product DVD2SVCD (www.dvd2svcd.org) as a front-end for TMPGEnc and select "NTSC to PAL" on the encoding screen. This little program will do everything for you.
    The DVD2SVCD package has to be slightly reconfigured to produce DVD streams, but instructions are available:
    http://www.dvdrhelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=114252

Good luck....

5. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Thanks. I now have the version of tmpgenc that I need, so i'm gonna give it a go on wednesday.
    Thanks for the help guys.