1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NTSC to PAL?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by barndoor, Jan 27, 2007.

1. barndoor

barndoor Member

Hi,
    Can anyone help me; I would like to convert a Region 1 NTSC DVD to UK PAL standard, can anyone point me in the right direction to do this with my BenQ 1655?

2. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Below are 2 different programs + Guides you could use. Just make sure you select PAL as the output format in the programs.

ConvertXTODvd ---> http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/vso_convertxtodvd_guide.cfm

Nero Vision Express 4 ---> http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/272946

These guides actually use AVI files to convert to DVD format but all you have to do is import the whole DVD in instead of the AVI file.

Doing this will take the menu off the movie. There is no program to my knowledge at this time that would do this without stripping the menu.

3. onya

onya Guest

Hi barndoor, here's a thread that will give you all the info you need, courtesy of Squizzle. Hope this helps.

Cheers.

4. barndoor

barndoor Member

Hi Guys,
    Thanx for your help, give me time to digest all this great stuff, and i will get back to you.
    Have a LiteOn LH-20A1P arriving early next week, seems i'm going to have a busy time!

5. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Many PAL nation set ups have no problem with NTSC discs. Check with the recipient. You probably only have to run it through DVDShrink or Decrypter to remove the region coding.

6. barndoor

barndoor Member

MysticE Hi,
    So you mean that my TV, Sony DVD player and BenQ burner should/could handle it OK?
    It only needs making region free in shrink or decrypter to make a backup copy?

7. MysticE

MysticE Active member

It should work/play as an NTSC region free disc in the UK. It has nothing to do with your player or TV. Make it Region Free (or Region 2 for the UK) and send it out.

Buying videos is a little simpler. You do not have to worry about it being region coded like DVD's all you have to worry about if you are buying videos from Amazon.com does your video machine play NTSC Videos? In the UK most new video machines sold play NTSC videos from the USA, even the cheapest machines!

All of this information can be found in the manual for your machine, and sometimes on the front of the machine.

Also most new televisions sold in the UK play NTSC media, but this may need to be checked in your manual also!

Most UK players can play NTSC and modern TV sets allow NTSC playback. It usually is the region code of 1 that stops UK players from playing DVD's from the USA.

8. barndoor

barndoor Member

Had chance to study the guides posted above, VOB Blanker sounds just like the type of prog i like, small, well written, gets the job done well, such as DVD Decrypter and Srink, am going to rip the main part out of a whole DVD i already have on my HDD to VOB's, load that in VOB Blanker, convert, burn it to one of my DVD+RW's then i will have something to try, and prove the capabilitys of my player and TV, i suppose i could always dig out the manuals for the Sony player and 1998 Panasonic TV, but that might take to long, will get back soon.

9. MysticE

MysticE Active member

If you are intending to convert to PAL, note that VobBlanker doesn't do any converting.

10. barndoor

barndoor Member

I understood Vob blanker could convert PAL to NTSC and vice-versa, checkout sadsac's post -

11. MysticE

MysticE Active member

For a true conversion you have to re-encode the source to the proper parameters.

NTSC: D1 NTSC uses 720 x 486 resolution

PAL: D1 PAL uses a 720 by 576 resolution

We also have a difference in framerates, PAL are 25 fps and NTSC are 29.97 fps (for the most part).

You also see that PAL DVDs have 576 pixels of vertical resolution versus NTSC's 480 pixels of vertical resolution. That's a 20% increase in resolution, hence true PAL setups have a better looking picture.

With the VobBlanker method or with IfoEdit, no re-encoding/converting is taking place. They are actually 'patching' the various attributes to trick the player. Sometimes it works, but not always.

http://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=221928

12. barndoor

barndoor Member

Interesting Mystic,
    Explains things a little clearer now, will look into thread, and get back, what about the Nero method in thread above, is that “patching” ?

13. MysticE

MysticE Active member

I use NVE3 it does nice true PAL conversions (re-encodes) but no subs or original menu. Note though the AR is a bit off though due to the 576 vs. 480 vertical resolution (people appear a little taller).

14. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Try Canopus Procoder 2, works a treat and is quality software.
    Theres already a step through on another thread from the other day that describes how to do it in the Procder wizard mode.

15. barndoor

barndoor Member

Have tried both VOB Blanker and IfoEdit methods, and if i did it correctly, both worked OK on my Sony DVD player, not quite sure if i got them both region free, how can i definatly check region setting? is there a prog?
    Will try NVE3 and Canopus Procoder 2, always good to learn stuff.
    Guides that are well written that you can print out are always good, am looking for some Nero guides,
    I will be back

16. barndoor

barndoor Member

MysticE Hi,
    NVE3, is this part of Nero?
    Is there an idiot guide somewhere?

17. larrylje

larrylje Active member

@Barndoor

Below is a guide for NVE the only difference is the guide uses NVE4 and not NVE3. There really is no difference between the 2 versions so the guide should help you out no mater what version you are using.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/272946

18. MysticE

MysticE Active member

A nice guide, but I prefer to do the final burn with Nero Express. Choose DVD-Video Files-> Add-> Finished-> Next-> Burn.

19. barndoor

barndoor Member

I may be getting this, NVE, Nero Vision Express? right?
    cannot see how to change NTSC to Pal and region 1 to 2 in Nero. with that guide, does it do it automatically, or can you change settings
    still a bit of a noob,
    sorry

20. larrylje

larrylje Active member

To change the format of the video you need to set either NTSC or PAL under the video options. The below images shows how to change the output video from PAL to NTSC but it would be the same except choose PAL to change it from NTSC to PAL.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]