1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NTSC TV to PAL region

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by bestsane, Jun 12, 2004.

1. bestsane

bestsane Member

Hi guys.

I'm currently living in Los Angeles, and planning to buy a TV or HDTV. Well, since I'll be moving out to somewhere in Asia next year, I have a question:
    Does NTSC TV (that I purchase in the US) work in areas that transmit PAL signal? I mean, is it possible to bring my tv there?

2. HAL9042

HAL9042 Member

I don't know about HDTV, but for analog TVs, (NTSC, PAL, and SECAM) the signals are substantially different, so you cannot just plug a PAL signal into an NTSC TV. You can buy a converter for about $200, but I doubt that would be less than the difference between a new TV where you are going and what you could get for the one you buy here. Plus, conversion likely reduces image quality.

PAL has wider scanlines and more of them, but only scans 50 half-frames per second, while NTSC scans 59.94 per second. My guess is that a converter would read in 5 PAL frames, then ouput 6 NTSC frames with two in a row being the same and just leave off some of the lines. Or if it's really fancy, it might interpolate the frames. If it does cut out the edges of the picture, that would be bad for playing video games that put important information there.

-Charles

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Ever wanted to use SNES or NES controllers on your PC?
    ---> http://www.ece.utexas.edu/~tabony/snestopc <---[/small]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2004