1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Number Of Member Posts - Idea

Discussion in 'AfterDawn feedback & suggestions' started by Mik3h, May 2, 2005.

1. Mik3h

Mik3h Regular member

I don't know wether you guys have considered this or not, but I thought it might be a good idea if, beside every member's user name, there was a counter which displayed the number of ports that member had posted. Just a suggestion.

-Mike

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

moved from MP3Lizard.com bands > Suggestions, ideas & feedback To ---> General discussion > AfterDawn feedback & suggestions

3. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi Mik3h, This is just an opinion but I think that would be another reason for useless extra posts just so members can watch their counter go up. The forum already gets many of these type of posts as it is. Each members title already gives some indication of general post count.

Jerry

4. arniebear

arniebear Active member

IMO I do not want to see posting made into a competive sport. I agree with Jerry the title already shows the dues that have been paid.

5. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

At one time post count was not an issue. You made Junior Member and Member only through post counts.

Senior was something that you had to earn.

You did not become an "Addict" until you made Senior and had the posts. Senior was the hard part. Addict? Back then there were about 6 or 7.. if that many.

Change was needed as AD grew so post count became the criteria for promotion.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/1/102943

Adding a counter would be going in the wrong direction, IMHO.

Last edited: May 4, 2005
  6. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I have to agree with everything that's been said. We already have too many folks posting nonsense just to get their rank boosted and it'd only add more incentive to do the same.

Post count is merely a byproduct of doing what forums are about - helping others solve their problems.

7. Mik3h

Mik3h Regular member

Alright, it was only a suggestion and ta for replying.

@flip218 - Soz for posting in the wrong forum, won't hapen again.

-Mike

8. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Yup, just gets silly then. Us AD Addicts, though i aint been around much, no doubt have the highest posts by a long way...lol...well over 7,000

9. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

neph has over 10 to 13 thousand posts & i'm at 5345 posts since last october

10. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

As people have stated here -- we don't want to encourage useless post count increases by users who use the post count as a competition sport. And as Oriphus stated, the level gives some indication anyway -- and post counts after you reach your "Addict" level get simply too overwhelming for Newbies to show them publicly ;-)

11. hursty

hursty Active member

its doesnt bother me one bit,i couldnt give a toss to be quite honest what status i currently am,being senior member sometimes can be royal pain in the ass,getting private messages and all that,you get used to it though
    maybe it should be a option to upgrade the status upon reaching a certain level,
    i would probably stay as a newbie.....that way i would appear to be a right clever newbie b*****d,or in my case,i would have a good excuse for getting things wrong,being a newbie and all that...hehehe
    as when things go tits up,and you get things wrong,being a senior member opens you up for all sorts of piss taking

with the bestest regards hursty

12. arniebear

arniebear Active member

I agree, I read a thread yesterday,

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/192558

where the person blasted senior members for their attitude. Jerry 746 gave him a really good answer back, but there was no reason except impatience for the posting. It is not like senior members can crawl into the persons computer and just know immediately what the problem is, and then instead of being grateful for some kind of help they get p%ss&d off. Anyway my 2 cents.

13. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

yeah, i wrote my replies to that one as carefully as i could, i tried to be helpful and at the same time nudging the guy to look for himself too. It gets tricky sometimes, i guess the title makes you answer more carefully but worth it if the problem gets solved.

(i seem to spend more time editing my replies than anything else)

:)

ps i guess it would be good if areas such as safety valve weren't included in the counts..

Last edited: May 20, 2005