1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NVE wont edit discs recorded with my panasonic dmr-es35v

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by puffin59, Mar 14, 2007.

1. puffin59

puffin59 Member

I've done this dozens of times before? With other recorders of coarse.I don't know if the trouble is with the recorder or NVE. Originally I used to own an inexpensive ILO brand recorder. I had no trouble creating homemade discs of my favorite TV shows using NVE to edit out the commercials. Still, I decided to upgrade to a 3 in 1 recorder. The only trouble I had with editing was to remove commercials from 1G gloms instead of 200-300MB gloms because the ILO separated the titles for me whereas the new 3 in 1 packed them all together. I got around this by using nero recode which broke the gloms down into their separate titles, I also noticed that when I used DVD+RW discs, I wasn't able to import titles until I closed the disc. However, once again I traded up for a more expensive 3 in 1 recorder. There is no end to my trouble now. It says I do not need to close DVD+RW discs, hence I can't edit with NVE. I switched to DVD+R discs which I could and did close but I am still unable to import anything into NVE for editing purposes. All I can do is use Nero Recode to clumsily edit out commercials and make homemade discs without menues. Surely NVE is able to edit homemade discs of any kind, unless recorders now come with their own form of copy protection that I am not aware of.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2007
  2. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

3. puffin59

puffin59 Member

I have spent hours for the past 4 days perusing through the information at this site but I am way more nieve than I ever thought, It's like death by information here, so please bare with me. Is ISObuster only used for corupted discs? I am able to play them on my DVD recorder and on my PC so they are not corupted. I assume the structure seen by NVE would be (VTS).IFO, .VOB and .BUP files and my DVD recorder I guess makes MPEG files. I use decrypter to convert the files on the disc (from my recorder) and put them onto my computer. Would TMPEG work in place of decrypter? It sounds like it changes AVI (audio files) into MPEG (video) files. That doesn't sound like what I need. I hope I'm answering your questions properly? Like I said, I am a complete novice apparently.

4. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

The link to TMPGEnc DVD Author is to a DVD authoring program which reads all types of recorded DVDs. TMPG has a series of products, one of which is the encoder you mention. It's what I use for my recorded DVDs as NVE is just too slow and kludgy an editor for me. You shouldn't have to rip the recorded DVD to your HD. TMPGEnc will ask if you want to store the files in a HD folder for easier editing and do the ripping for you.

ISOBuster is just not for corrupted DVDs. Many of us use it all the time for varied and assorted purposes.

Sometimes recorders will have a double folder structure, a typical VIDEO_TS folder and a VIDEO_RM folder. Be sure to use the Import Disk option and not the Add File option. NVE will import my recorded DVDs without any problems; it's just too slow and poor an editor for my tastes.

5. puffin59

puffin59 Member

Thanks, you've been very helpful. I have tried to use import DVD as well but it doesn't work. TMPGEnc sounds great but if NVE works for your DVD's and not mine, how do I know for sure if TMPGEnc will work for me. Is that the reason for using ISObuster? I don't mind slow and cluncky, if there is a way for you to edit with NVE then I hope there is a way for me too. I can't seem to find much information about double folder structure DVD's for study how do I figure out what I have? I use NVE 3 and I have a E: Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-R1312 and a F: Sony DVD RW DRU-800A. If I can get around shelling out extra money for new software I would prefer it but...I have 3 discs (1 DVD+RW not closed and 2 DVD+R closed) of unedited Good Eats episodes dying for a home.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2007
  6. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

TMPGEnc DVD Author should import the DVD from the disk itself and save it to your HD. There shouldn't be a need for ISOBuster.

Did you ever try to import the individual VOBs with the Add File option in NVE?

7. puffin59

puffin59 Member

Sorry about the confusion. I updated my last post because I didn't think you would be on yet. I thought I knew what my folder structure was but I don't think I do. At NVE when I use add video file and open the decrypted version on my HD, it shows video_TS and video_RM folders so I assume that means my DVD has a double folder structure. I don't know how to import only the VOB files, it only shows VTS files.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2007
  8. puffin59

puffin59 Member

That was how I used to edit my older discs with the older DVD recorder. I would import the files off of my HD by using Add Video Files. I would add them one at a time.

9. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

VOB is the extension for the actual video files, i.e., the file type. There are three types of DVD video files. The IFO file, of which there is one per DVD, contains the info about how the files are linked and to be played. The BUP file type is the backup of the IFO file. All the other files are the VOB files that contain the actual video to play. VTS is the standard way to name DVD files.

The VTS files that appear when clicking the Add Files button would be VOB file types.

10. puffin59

puffin59 Member

Thank you for your patience and knowlege. Yes, I have tried to import the individual VOB files by using Add Video Files and also Import Disc. I get the same message. Unable to insert C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\my Documents\NeroVision\Imported Video\(date)(time)(name of file).mpg The message does not tell me why or give me any helpful information for resolving the issue at all. I talked with one of the GEEKS over at Best Buy and he recomended I try Windows Movie Maker, Pinical Studio, or ROXIO. He looked at my disc on his PC and said 'They are basic VOB files'. He also recomended to go to panasonic.com and ask 'what file type is being made by my recorder' So I did that and am waiting for an answer. How many different types of VOB files are there and how do I know which software will work to open or accept the VOB's? I would be willing to invest money into new software if I knew what the issue was with these VOB files.

Frustration is trying to find your glasses without your glasses.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2007
  11. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

The link I provided to TMPGEnc DVD Author is to trial version 1.6, which is a fully functional version. I cannot imagine it not being able to import your video. Here's the link again:

http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/download/tda16.html

I use RW disks all the time in my recorder. I've never found +/-R disks to work very well even if finalized.

Have you tried different disks?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2007
  12. puffin59

puffin59 Member

Thank you very much I'll give it a go, the only discs I've tried are +R and +RW. I've heard on the street that -R is best but I'm not sure if that's true or why.

13. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

-R isn't better than +R format. There's really little difference between them. +R can be booktyped as DVD-ROM, -R cannot. That's about the only difference imo.

14. puffin59

puffin59 Member

I must be doing it wrong, TMPGEnc is not working. Put disc into DVD RW drive. Select DVD NTSC, push next.Browse for video file in drive F:,select Vidio TS (no files show up)Search through the file types until files appear. The only thing that works is All Files. click on a VOB. Error message File"F Video_TS\VTS_01_1.VOB can not open, or unsuported. I tried the other NTSC options as well and even selected nero recode VOB files.??? Well never mind project wizard. I attempted to fiddle around at the TMPGEnc window as well, same results.???

15. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Where is the NTSC DVD stuff coming from? Did you download TMPGEnc DVD Author 1.6 from the link I provided?

Create New Project
    Select a track
    Click add DVD Video
    Navigate to VIDEO_TS folder and select it to be added
    Will be prompted to copy to location on hard disk

16. puffin59

puffin59 Member

Thank-you. OK, I have the right software now. It works fine on disc 8 (the DVD+RW) but I get an error message with discs 9 and 10 (DVD+R).

This is an illegal vidoe file. For DVD-video you can only use the following video formats: MPEG-1, MPEG-2
    TMPGEnc DVD Autor does NOT have MPEG encoding abilities. Formats .avi, .rm, .wmv, .asf etc. can only be used after they have been encoded to MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 format.

However, with the knowlege I have gained from you and this site I have been doing some extra fiddling in Nero Recode. I have noticed that if I first use Decrypter then make a digital MPEG-4 files with Nero Recode, I am able to import these files into NVE. I haven't burned anything yet though. Wish me luck.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2007