1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NVIDIA GeForce 5200 problems

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Liez4Love, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Liez4Love

Liez4Love Regular member

i got the NVIDIA GeForce 5200 and i try to get as many pixils as i can but i can only get , 1200x1024 *or something like that.* and i have a way better mointer which can support like 2000 something,. and i was thinking about geting a new video card, but my cousin said to download a dentor driver, from the video cards homepage, except i couldnt find ne thing.. plz help

2. p4_tt

p4_tt Active member

Yep your right it should goto 2048x1536, What driver are you using for it

3. Liez4Love

Liez4Love Regular member

HAHAHA,, sorry man,, i got mest up, my 17 inch flat screen monitor can only go up to 1200x1024 sorry bout that... but what is a driver>??

4. p4_tt

p4_tt Active member

"DRIVER - A driver is software that works to communicate between an operating system and a peripheral. Think of it as a translator. If you use a crappy driver, your OS won't understand your video card and may become unstable and crash. Hardware manufacturers constantly update drivers to make them faster and more stable. Operating systems typically come with a set of drivers, but peripherals newer than your operating system typically require new drivers which must be installed via CD-ROM, floppy, or downloaded from the Web. "

5. p4_tt

p4_tt Active member

Sorry double post

Last edited: Mar 30, 2005
  6. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Liez4Love

You can go directly to www.nvidia.com and D/L the latest drivers from them. If the Graphics card has their chip, (GeForce5200,) no matter who the card was made by, their drivers will work and are backward compatible.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2005
  7. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

I have an Asus V9520-VS (GeForce FX5200).
    This VideoSuite model has an integrated TV encoder capture device.
    Updating to the latest nVidia drivers (v 71.84) breaks the capture device (very evil - lock-ups, BSD, not good).
    Then at some point I re-did my OS, put in the 71.84, no problems - I thought 'these drivers are okay after all...'
    THEN I installed the capture drivers - same deal; spontaneous reboot during POST incl. brief glimpse of blue (if I watched closely).
    Had to go back to v 66.93, then no problems ;^(
    There is nowhere to report these things to nVidia, no link on their website, no feedback.
    Their newest drivers break things, and completely break the earlier models too (I have a GeForce2 Deluxe and a GeForce256 DDR here also).
    For these I must run v 56.72 ;^(
    They specifically say the latest drivers support all models, but it's BS - they lie; it is not so.
    And there is no way for me to tell them!
    I need a new board anyway (the 5200 sucks) and am looking at Radeons...
    BTW the 5200 offers me 1600x1200 which is limited by my 19" monitor.
    The actual maximum is 2048x1536 @ 75Hz.
    Hope this info is useful for some :^)
    Regards

8. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

I’m also running the 6.6.9.3. Driver dated 10/29/2004 in my machines. I’ve noticed that the new driver came out this month, March 11, 2005. My 5700 is running fine along with 5200 in my wife’s PC, and no hiccups. I guess I’ll wait a bit then before installing it since I have no problems currently.

Have you tried calling them at one of these numbers and ask for an email address or contact person to speak with about your situation?

http://www.nvidia.com/page/contact_information.html