1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nVIDIA GeForce Go 6100 driver for XP?

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by hogcia, Jun 5, 2007.

1. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

usflorida, no email posting as per forum rules above, post edited

2. BIackBean

BIackBean Member

Sorry missed this,

nVIDIA GeForce Go 6100 is what is shown for the video adapter, I had to select it manually as none of the nvidia installs could detect it. I have it working just fine but if I try to run an nvidia driver update (lets say) it will not detect it still. I just get an error message saying no Nvidia drivers are installed for this product...

3. barricade

barricade Guest

I downgraded a few Vista machines to XP and each time when I was missing some drivers I would connect to windows update and they would automatically find the drivers for me. If anyone gets stuck with something try that!

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

barricade, that doesn't always work but worth a try anyhow.

5. dan1els0n

dan1els0n Member

i have a very similar problem with my 6100... how do i force feed a driver as you say above? i can't get it to work!

6. dan1els0n

dan1els0n Member

sorry, more information:
    i have downloaded a thousand different drivers for the chipset but when i try and install them, the program displays a message something along the lines of "no driver can be found compatible for your hardware"
    i have a shitty laptop e-machines n-12 and the support page links to a faulty download so please help!

7. vander1

vander1 Member

Hey usflorida, thanks for sharing your research with us. I used your links to install all of those drivers for my Presario F572US. However, I still have some items in my device manager under "Other Devices" with the yellow question marks and exclamation points next to them, indicating they have no driver. They are: "Coprocessor", "Other PCI Bridge Device", "SM Bus Controller". do you know what I could do to correct this problem? I would greatly appreciate it.

8. jihde

jihde Member

I have this Compaq Presario v6000 notebook and i have also problems with those drivers. Is there anyone out there who can explain for me what to do?

Thanks.

9. vander1

vander1 Member

I figured it out, with a little help from a Car vs. Driver article. When I ran the "NVIDIA nForce Chipset Driver and Network Controller" driver, it took care of it.

Since I had loaded so many drivers in trying to find the right combination, I reinstalled windows and started from scratch to make sure I had it right. The drivers I found to work best are:

Graphics See note below
    Chipset
    Broadcom Wireless
    Microsoft HD Audio Bus
    Audio
    Modem
    Touchpad
    Quick Launch

Which is most of the drivers from "Car vs. Driver", but the Quick Launch driver listed by usflorida in the post above is more current so I used that. As for graphics, the driver listed by usflorida actually installs normally and shows the correct model number (Go GeForce 6100). But when I used it, whenever my monitor shut off for power management, I couldn't revive it without the screen going crazy. When I "force fed" it the 6150 driver, it worked fine. "Force fed" just means download and extract the packet, then go into device manager and right click-update driver, then select "install from a specific location", then "don't search, I will choose the driver to install", then "Have Disk" and browse to the extracted directory and select the only file that shows up.

One other note. My XP install disk (being old) was only SP1. There was an "unknown device" in device manager that went away only when I installed SP2. I'm not sure what it was.

Anyway, everything is working now and there are no devices in device manager with any problems.

10. morph988

morph988 Member

If you guys need help finding drivers for the compaq computers, might try a free program called Astra32. It displays what drivers you need in detail. I have a Compaq Presario Sr5130NX and turned out that I needed a MCP61 Nvidia chipset driver and astra told me what I needed. So might try that. It's free too. It'll tell you what kind of modem you got, etc etc.

I got to say that I'm not sure that I'm all that happy with Compaq computers. I'm getting strange bugs every now and then. My P2P apps don't work as well....meaning I don't get the speed that I got with my emachines computer. Also, some programs won't install. Drivers are hard to find. I'm thinking maybe I should have bought another emachines computer.

11. jeffzz

jeffzz Member

Hi, first of all let me say a big thanks to everyone supporting this thread. Im decent with computers and was aprehensive about downgrading to xp on my f572us. But seeing everyone else have success im a bit jealous. I have a few questions about this process. Is formatting of the hard drive necessary first? If not, do I just pop in an xp install cd and run it? Obv, there are issues with everthing working so, after installing xp how hard is the driver updating process if nothing works. Also, i know how to force feed a driver but all the links i see for the n6150 go vid card are exe files. Do these work in that instance or are there dll files that i could obtain as well. Finally...and im sorry for being a bit of a moron, but could someone post a bit of a walkthrough on what they did to their f572us to get it working perfectly. Thank you all very much and good luck.
    Jeff Zimmer

I HATE VISTA

12. vander1

vander1 Member

Hey jeffzz, when you boot from the XP CD, it will give you the option to format the drive as one of the first steps. I would recommend that you do that, as I don't see how you could install XP over top of Vista.

If you download the drivers listed in my post above, it's a very simple process to install them. You just go down the list and do them one at a time. There will be a couple devices related to audio that will say they didn't install properly, but that's just because they require more than one of the drivers, and when they are all in place, everything will work fine. Just make sure you download the drivers before installing XP (onto a CD or some other removeable media), as you won't be able to access the internet until after you install them.

As for the 6150 driver, when you run the .exe file, it will create a folder, then it will run it's installation program and tell you that it can't find any compatible devices, then it will close. At this point you "force feed" the driver, navigating to the folder it created. The one and only file that shows up is the one you use.

Finally, here are the steps to upgrade to XP:

1) Download the drivers and save to removeable media (USB Flash drive, CD, etc.)
    2) Boot from XP disk, format and install XP - wait before enabling Microsoft Update
    3) Run all drivers - force feed graphics driver
    4) Enable Microsoft Update

13. vander1

vander1 Member

One more thought - if you are interested in dual-booting Vista and XP, see this link http://apcmag.com/5023/dual_booting_xp_with_vista. The guide is very easy to follow. I am currently using this on my F572US. For now I am using XP exclusively, but I'm going to try a fresh install of Vista (while keeping the XP partition) to see if that helps with the problems I had with Vista.

14. mshomo

mshomo Member

I reverted my F572US back to XP Pro and all went fine except that the wireless doesn't see my network. It will only see my network if I disable the security on the Linksys router and sit the F572US right beside the router. If I move to another room it doesn't see it. I have another laptop sitting beside it in the other room with an Intel PROset WLAN that is having no problems. Is the Broadcom that much weaker or am I missing something? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

15. vander1

vander1 Member

As for disabling the security - what revision of XP did you install? Anything prior to SP2 wouldn't be able to see WPA wireless security, which is probably the most common type. As for the power - I don't have any problems with Broadcom wireless in XP. I can get reception for at least 50 feet through several walls and a floor (I haven't tried any further). Maybe check the power save mode. Go to control panel, system, hardware, device manager, network adapters, broadcom, then right-click and properties, advanced, power save mode. Make sure it is set to high performance. However, the driver should default to that on the install. I did have wireless problems with Vista, though not related to power, but I have had none with XP.

16. mshomo

mshomo Member

I am using XP with SR2. I did get the wireless working. It was my security on my Linksys. I had it set to WPA2. I changed it to WPA and it hooked right up. It's been running with no problems.

17. taboc

taboc Member

Great information. But I got a diffrent problem related to this.

Instead of formatting my Compaq F572US, I bought a new HDD and when I inserted the win xp CD, it told me that there's no OS and I was expecting the installation software to come up. IS therre something I need to change in the BIOS so the disk will be detected?

Thanks people.

18. andrew002

andrew002 Member

Wow - I bought this notebook F572 for college and found out quickly that I don't like Vista. I've been trying to figure out how I would search for all the Drivers while working on my senior Management Information Systems classes. You guys are life savers. Havn't done the down grade yet, but I'll let you know how it goes.

I ordered the Vista CD's from HP which arrived in about 3 days - I might give Vista another try if Microsoft comes out with a Vista SP2 or something.

taboc: I'm on a different computer at the moment. I'll look at my F572 and let you know how to get it to boot. I want to guess F10 to get into BIOS then change boot order - but don't quote me on that.

19. andrew002

andrew002 Member

You should be able to push esc as the computer is coming on to bring up the boot selection menu

20. URYNOME

URYNOME Member

Holy Crap

Thanks God for this forum! I have my problem solved within ten minutes of discovering it because of Afterdawn!!!! you guys ROCK!!!! This is like the Tenth Time this site has helped me out of a big problem.