1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NZBs - Corrupt Archives?

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by arsenal01, Jul 10, 2007.

1. arsenal01

arsenal01 Member

Someone please help me out here. I've downloaded a couple of 8gb files using the tutorial posted on Afterdawn. Both files have completed without issue using newsfile grabber & then I run quickpar on the par2 file to repair them. After repair I can open the sfv using quickpar & it says that repair is not needed.

However, once I attempt to unpack the 60+ rar files using winrar (latest version), I keep getting CRC errors. After 5 or so, the whole operation craps out on me. This has happened with both files I downloaded, so I'm inclined to believe the problem is me rather than 2 corrupt archives.

Does anybody have any thoughts on where I'm going wrong?

2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

what version of WinRAR are you using?

How are unpacking the archives? Are you choosing to extract from the first file in the rar set?

Did the rar set come with .par and .par2 files? Did you download them>

3. arsenal01

arsenal01 Member

Winrar 3.7 corporate edition

I am right clicking the 1st file in the archive and selecting "Extract Here"

The rar set came with several par2 files which I already used to repair the archive by opening them with quickpar.

Thanks!

4. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

And Quickpar definitely said "no repair needed"? Did it need to do a repair first?

If that happened to me, I would download the files again. However, it sounds like there is something wrong with the rar archive. Or you have hard drive issues. Or your RAM is faulty. But you'd know if that was happening.

Just a thought... You aren't trying to extract 8 GB files to a FAT32 volume are you?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2007
  5. arsenal01

arsenal01 Member

Quickpar definitely did a repair first - you know the weird thing was that when I originally opened the sfv (before the repair), it told me no repair was needed . But when I opened the par2 file it found 4 damaged files & did a repair. Not sure what that means.

Hard drive & ram are both only a couple months old (500gb hd, 3gb ram) so I REALLY hope they aren't the issue here. Volume is NTFS.

I just attempted to extract the archive from within News File Grabber - it gave me a bunch of errors also & said that the operation was aborted, but it still created the iso (and it's the right size). Any thoughts?

6. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

You could try opening the iso in WinRAR and viewing the contents, or even extracting them. I have never had a rar set that was OK'd by Quickpar, whether it had needed repair or not, to fail, so I think something else is going on here.

If Quickpar needed to do a repair, the rar set was damaged.

Sometimes, though, repeating the download is the only thing to try.

Or another newsreader. I use Xnews which is free.

7. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Its probably because you have a hacked/cracked version of WinRar. There is no "Corporate Edition" of WinRar, many hackers/warez groups commonly post their hacks as ___(Product Name)___ Corporate Edition. If you look at Rar Labs' official WinRar purchase page there is no "Corporate Edition". I bet your hacked version is corrupt and thats why you can't unpack the archives. I personally use IzArc. It can unrar the .000,.001,.002 files. THe .part0, .part1, .part2 files, etc. Anything WinRar can do it can do, plus IzArc is free.

8. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

There is no such thing as a "corporate" version of Winrar. It is just a (badly) hacked Winrar executable (and a rebuilt installer) that some guy chose to name "corporate".

9. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

lol, beat ya to it by 6 minutes Indochine :) Gotta be faster on the draw next time :)

10. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

The cat was hungry.

11. arsenal01

arsenal01 Member

ok, you caught me with a crappy torrent'ed version of winrar. So I followed your suggestion and downloaded Izarc which at this moment has completely frozen on me while attempting to unpack the archive. It has an error window popped up (but nothing is visible on it - all white) & is no longer responding.

I guess my archive is trashed, I just don't get why quickpar repaired files & tells me everything's kosher, but it still won't work.

12. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Maybe it was a deliberately shared "poisoned chalice", a fake rar set uploaded by or on behalf of copyright owners, or by a antipiracy vigilante whacko, to dissuade casual or newbie downloaders? They do exist. Or a broken, badly done rar+par set? (More likely) They exist too.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2007