1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Obscenely Slow Drive...

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by huhwhadoh, Jan 31, 2005.

1. huhwhadoh

huhwhadoh Member

Hi all, hope someone can point me in to the right direction...

I've burned with no problems for over a year. Not until about a week ago, i bought nero and started having problems.

Even uninstalling Nero and going back to my old programs (CopyToDVD,Sonic) does not make the burning process any faster...

a) To burn a DVD backup onto the disc wether the media is 4x or 8x (TDK) it takes about 1:30-2 hours. (just the burning part) while it used to take about 30 mins)

b)I noticed that Nero's own buffer is up at 100%, however, in the window where the drive information is, i see the drive's buffer fluctuates from 0%, 12%, 35%... all the way to 100%, and then back to 0%... It goes like that all throughout the burning process...

c) never got a single coaster.

System Configuration:
    P4 3.2GHz
    1 GB Ram
    Win XP
    SATA 120Gb HD
    Teac DV-W58E (DVD+RW)
    Nero Ultra Edition 6.6.0.6

Any ideas?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

H

Last edited: Jan 31, 2005
  2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Sounds like your IDE channels reverted to POI mode. Go into your device manager and check the IDE controllers. If either says PIO, change it back to DMA. If it won't stay on DMA, remove both controllers from the list and re-boot. Windows should reinstall them properly to DMA.

Jerry

3. huhwhadoh

huhwhadoh Member

Jerry:
    Yes, you are right, the transfer mode is on PIO mode...

Tried changing it, adn it will still remain on PIO. Uninstalled them and rebooted and it goes back to PIO.

At some point only the DVD reader stayed on DMA, but the burner changed back to PIO.

Any clues?

Thanks again!

H.

4. huhwhadoh

huhwhadoh Member

UPDATE:
    Decided to go look around in the BIOS to make sure DMA was enabled, and found out that my burner (Primery IDE Drive 1) was set to OFF.

I have no idea how that got changed, but that seems like it solved the problem, now the DMA setting in windows device manager stays and am back to my original speed when it comes to burning DVDs.

Many thanks for your help Jerry!!!

H.

5. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Glad that helped. Yes I forgot to mention about checking the bios because usually its already set to DMA. Have fun burning.

Jerry

6. tripjacks

tripjacks Member

This is for Jerry
    Morning Jerry!

Been floating around the various forums looking into my DMA/PIO issue (Secondary IDE Chan) and I have the option of DAM if avail and PIO and I"ve done that - been there - now wondering about the BIOs cahnge.

I'm NOT a computer genius - but I have had 'some' experience with bios.

Can you help me resolve my issue? I can't get the secondary to DMA taking any route.

Thanks!

7. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Since this is written for Jerry I won't mention that CMOS is where you would make such a change. I also won't mention, that, depending on your PC, to access CMOS you would do that at initial start-up and usually need to push either an F2 or DEL key to enter it. Again I won't mention anymore. <g>

Sorry, I could not resist. :)

Last edited: Feb 5, 2005
  8. tripjacks

tripjacks Member

Thanks for the advise! But I sorta figured it out by reading other threads and decided that uninstalling the secondary and let Windows do it's thing was a better choice for me. Safer I believe - to leave well enough alone and not "play" in bios land! :eek:)

Thanks for your advise though! Apprecaite it.

9. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hey ScubaBud, Jump in here anytime. I'm not on here 24/7 so any help you can offer when I'm not around is just fine by me. I'm sure other members feel the same way.

Jerry

10. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Thanks Jerry, I knew you wouldn't mind.

Ted