1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Observations and questions on this whole flashing the 360 thing.

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by potential, Mar 1, 2007.

1. potential

potential Member

I have know about this whole flashing the 360 thing ever since I owned a 360 (2 months ago). I was interested in doing it, but I saw there were some drawbacks.

As far as banning goes, that's unacceptable. I love the fact that you can back-up games and whatnot, but I value the Friends/Achievements/Arcade games I have gotten with my account. Furthermore, I think I have one of the best gamertags, so if I was to get banned, I probably would be crushed.

But what I wonder is if they can actually detect if your using the firmware (because I know I have heard about some of the Nintendo Wii being 100% undetectable, etc.). I mean, I would definitely do it if I knew I wasn't going to get caught, OR I would do it if I could stop If I heard about something. Like I keep hearing "if they start banning, you will hear about it and you can remove firmware, etc". Well, if they ban, if they ban everyone at one time, what would you do then? Would you be able to remove the firmware?

It's just questions like that that run through my head when I think about this. Another question I have is that if you flash the firmware, would you be able to return it to the store? I have a warranty with Best Buy, would they take it back, or even check?

I mean, I totally think it's worth it, but sacrificing my precious gamertag, my achievements, all the friends and everything that is tied to my gamertag, is that worth it?

Basically, I am just getting into learning everything, and these are just observations and questions I have on the whole thing. Comments on this and answers to some of the questions are welcome and greatly appreciated (and yes I have read other threads, search through the forums, etc).

2. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

if they ban people that is going to ruin the reputation of the 360, a lot of people get it knowing they can mod without getting banned, and if they do ban, to be totally SOL they would have to lock the tag, ban the hard drive, and ban the console itself, i dont see all of that happening, and if they just ban the console, just take it to walmart and tell them you just got it and it messed up, works all the time to get a brand new console

3. potential

potential Member

Wait, question. When they banned in xbox, did they lock the Gamertag? The Gamertag is all that I'm really worried about, I really could give a care about the 360 because the new one is coming out and I have a warranty on the one I have.

As long as I'm pretty sure that my Gamertag will be fine then I'm fine with it, but if my Gamertag gets banned I will probably never play xbox 360 again.

4. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

nah they never banned the gamertag, it was just the console, i had 2 consoles banned with the same gamertag on them and when i got my 3rd orignal xbox all was fine

5. potential

potential Member

Ok. I have a warranty on my 360, and I plan on getting the new 360 anyway, and as long as they don't ban gamertags, all I need to hear.

So....

Let the flashing begin......

Btw thanks for the help Mike. I actually just found this.

"November 9, 2004

Ever since Xbox Live came out officially, people who accessed Xbox Live with their modchip on were banned. Live detected the modified BIOS that was loaded, and the Xbox's EEPROM (the unique identity of each Xbox) was banned. However, their Xbox Live account was still safe. So, these banned users got a different EEPROM from various sources, and they were back onto Xbox Live.

That has been the way for a long time, and was the way to get banned, unless you used a Xbox Live cheat or was a disruptive gamer.

However, until recently, it seems MS is taking extreme measures to stop people with modified Xboxes from accessing Xbox Live, even with their modchip off. It appears now that MS is banning modders who changed their HD from the way it was when their XBox was stock, to a larger HD or whatever. MS is detecting a change in the HD, and thus banning the Xbox. However, again, the modder's gamertag is fine, just that their Xbox is banned.

Any way around this? Well, as always, the best way to avoid a Xbox ban from Xbox Live is to get a new Xbox just for Xbox Live.

That is the current state of Xbox Live, as I have gathered from the mounds of threads here.

Here is what I think MS is still NOT doing:
    - MS is not scanning HDs for what is on the HD. So, I assume a stock HD, even though the XBox is modded, will still work fine on Xbox Live. Just, as always, access Live with the modchip off.
    - MS is not banning Xboxes with a replaced DVDROM. So, if you swapped a Thomson with a Samsung, you will still be fine.

6. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

i hope you have success with your flashing :)