1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OC'ing RAM problems.

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by LDee, Aug 6, 2007.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Have we established whether cooling RAM actually helps yet?

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Have we established whether cooling RAM actually helps yet?

3. elokito

elokito Regular member

hell yeah adding fans to ram makes a big diff when oc

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Then how come it's not done more often. I think you're the first person I know to put fans on your RAM.

5. elokito

elokito Regular member

well it sure worked for me and no im not the only person i know theres some1 else in this forum that did that also to prevent crashing his pc, anyways if u put more voltage 2 the ram it gets hotter so to make it cooler just put a fan or 2

my ocz ram is 667mhz 4-4-4 and its overclocked to 820mhz 4-4-4 volate at 2.2 and 2 fans taped on it and i have 0 problems with it

6. LDee

LDee Regular member

Could you explain how you taped a fan to your ram? Mine is in the dual channel slots so one empty slot inbetween.

I have a few fans around, what size did you use? Maybe you could knock up a simple diagram in paint? That would be really helpful!

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The best way I can think of is to use either a 40mm or 60mm fan and have it sit on top of the RAM sticks, in between them like this (imagine this is you looking down onto the RAM from directly above)

I.......I
    I.......I
    I-------I
    I-------I
    I-------I
    I-------I
    I.......I
    I.......I

The RAM sticks being the Is and the fan being the dashes.
    (Dots are empty space, I would have used spaces, but aD doesn't let you use more than one space)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2007
  8. LDee

LDee Regular member

I didn't totally get your diagram. The ram sticks are the I's, then why does one have a bit wider in the middle? Is that the edge of the fan?

Anyway heres a pic, this is what I understood from what you said:

[​IMG]
    This is a bird's eye view. The four slots from above, colour coded into their dual channels, 2 are taken up by sticks of ram (green rectangles). The fan is see through in this diagram and is the black lines. The yellow X's are tape from the fan to the top of the ram sticks (onto heat spreaders in my case). Not too sure that's ok since it's not alot of space to tape something onto, especially something moving, so I don't know if that would work.

So what do you think of this?

Should the fan blow air down onto the sticks or up and away from?

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That looks good, and is exactly what I meant, but with a smaller fan. I'd say up and away from the sticks, since there are no fins down there to direct airflow.

10. elokito

elokito Regular member

yeah thats the way, it should blow air to the heat spreaders

11. LDee

LDee Regular member

If I'm understanding what you are both saying correctly, sammorris says the air should be blown up and away from the ram, elokito says the air should blow down and towards the ram.

?

12. elokito

elokito Regular member

im saying it to blow air INTO the ram to make it cooler (thats how i have it) i dont know if it works better doing it sammorris way but my way works for me at least

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, traditionally, CPU heatsinks have air blowing towards the processor, but they have fins to direct the air into an appropriate place. You'd need to have strong case ventilation to carry the hot air from the RAM out.

14. LDee

LDee Regular member

That's what I was thinking, the case doesn't have great air flow, no opening at the front so no way to induce front to back airflow. It's more like side bottom to back top ot the moment.

I'll try both.

15. LDee

LDee Regular member

I bought the arctic freezer 7 pro. I'm now idling at around 47 C but the biggest difference is under load. With dual instances of prime 95 running torture test I'm now never exceeding 60 C, 90% of the time not even exceeding 56 C. Before I was getting up to 76-78 C! These are speedfan readings by the way.

So under load I'm always at least 16 C lower, pretty impressive.

I don't have time right now but later I'll see what I can up the FSB to now.

Oh by the way, the instructions that came with it were absolutely terrible! Completely missed out one extremely vital step which is that you must fully connect the bracket which has the four plugs on it that go through the mboard to the copper plate that sits on the cpu BEFORE attempting to install the device. They left that bit out, ridiculous! No wonder people are having so much trouble fitting this thing and some even claiming that it's impossible to fit without taking the mboard out of the case.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2007
  16. LDee

LDee Regular member

I edited the above message instead of replying, the above is the update to this thread.

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Really? That's interesting, for me it was a simple case of plug and go!
    I will agree the instructions aren't great, but the cooler more than makes up for it, as you saw!

18. LDee

LDee Regular member

Yeah, I think the problem might be that the bracket with the four plugs that go through the mboard should be already connected to the copper plate that sits on the cpu when the item ships. In my case and many others, it was not. The fact that it should already be connected would explain it's absence in the instructions, but either way, bad arctic cooling for either not connecting the bracket or not including it in the instructions.

But for that price it's a very good cooler and should extend my cpu's lifetime!

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ah right, interesting, I don't remember it being included with the stock cooler for Intel CPUs, and the mounting method is the same to my recollection...

20. LDee

LDee Regular member

In mine it has a bracket with the 4 plugs that go in the holes on the board, this is joined to the copper plate that sits on the cpu by 2 raised bumps on the bracket that tightly fit into 2 indentations on the copper plate. If the brackets raised bumps are not in the indetations on the plate the bracket is still roughly in the right place because it is held there by the heat pipes and the fins on top (when manufacturing they must put the bracket over then the heatfins on top after) but you will not be able to fit it without the bumps on the bracket being pushed into the indentations on the copper plate at some point. This is the part they didnt mention and I guess it's because it should already be done when it leaves the factory, but clear its not in many cases.

With the intel stock hsf its not the same issue, the backet that has the four plugs that go through the board can not really be positioned in any other ways and it does not determine the position and location of the rest of the heat sink whereas the arctic one does. I dunno if this makes any sense, complicated, sorry, ha