1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Odd Boot Problem with Magic 3.1 Mod

Discussion in 'PS2' started by a_name, Apr 18, 2003.

1. a_name

a_name Member

I have installed a magic 3.1 in my PS2 and have a really odd problem with the booting of PS2 games (even the cdrs sometimes) when I put the disc in it trys to boot the the game but when its supposed to show the Plastation 2 sign it jumps back to the browser on CDRs on the DVDRs it continues from there and I get a red bad format screen.

When I try to go to the browser to see if the disc is recognized IT IS, hit the button and the same thing happens (red screen).

The install has been done correctly checked many times and even reinstalled in a PS2 of the same type, and the DVD has actually fully boot up once (CDs more often).
    Well here are the specs:
    PS2 Ver. 1c
    Verbatim DVD+RW Burner (RW5125)
    Verbatim and Memorex DVD+R Media
    Verbatim CDR Media
    Have used Nero 5.5.10.0 and Record Max 4.1
    Used alternative for point W
    Adjusted the Laser AZIMUTH

Oh DVD+R movies play just fine using either media and PS1 backups play fine with Verbatim CDRs, and the games will continue to play flawless if I boot with the Original first then swap while in game.

Thanks for any Info.

2. a_name

a_name Member

Well now that seemed like a waste of time, now I have to tell myself how to fix it, self how did you fix it. Well I adjusted the DVD and CD pots clockwise, very slowly and cafully apperently the 1c laser needed a slight boost now everything boots, and fast. But wait self didn't you read that thats a bad idea without an oscilloscope.
    Yeah but I don't have one and didn't know where to get one but the system seems to be behaving its self. Somebody said that DVD+Rs won't work on earlier PS2s. Well apperently I must have the exception to the rule or they don't know what thay are talking about. geeze self your kinda harsh there. yeah and a little nutty too.

3. JVegas

JVegas Regular member

4. Talesk

Talesk Guest

So does your PS2 play:

PSX original
    PSX backup
    PS2 original
    DVD original
    DVD backup

Fails on PS2 Backups (CD-R and DVD-R/+R based)

???

5. a_name

a_name Member

It seemed to have trouble booting PS2 backups more over with DVD+R than CD-R but i just went here:

http://www.extreme-mods.com/ps2-lasertweak.htm

and read the instructions and it works now. Boots everything (as far as i can tell).
    CD Pot turned 1/16 clocwise.
    DVD Pot turned somewhere between 1/8 to 1/4 clockwise