1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Odd problem with DVD Decrypter...

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by vividos1, Apr 29, 2005.

1. vividos1

vividos1 Guest

I've been using DVD Decrypter to backup pretty much every single DVD I own. (Almost a year of using it now and have NEVER had a problem for movie DVD backups)

I recently recieved my Matrix Infinity PS2 (orginal not slim) and upgraded the necessary firmware etc...

I went to backup the first game I've got for the PS2 (Spyro a hero's tale) and did the following:

1) Selected ISO READ and set it to read at 1x
    2) Then it copied the .ISO and .MDS file to the
    folder I wanted (It was odd though...it changed
    it to 2x automatically)
    3) Once that was finished (small game) I placed a blank
    TDK DVD-R in the drive, switched it to ISO WRITE.
    4) I selected the .MDS file and burned it at 1x
    5) This time it did burn it at 1x, and when it was finished
    I went to test it out in the unit and got: "Please insert
    a playstation or playstation 2 format game"
    message...

I then tried to burn the ISO instead of the MDS and that disc
    came back with the "unable to read disc" error.

So then, since I've used Alcohol to backup my regular PS games in the past, I decided to give that a try. I burnt the MDS file using alcohol 120 (oddly it didn't give me the option to choose my format...ps, ps2, etc...like it normally does...) This disc however works perfectly! no problems.

[bold] so the problem then is....[/bold] are there some setting within DVD Decrypter that I either have enabled or DONT have enabled that would keep it from burning a working copy? Or was something missing on my end in the process.

Spyro A hero's tale is a DVD ROM game and I was using DVD-R's that were TDK. (I hear you can burn DVD games to CDR but I don't care so much about that.) Any thoughts or input would be greatly appriciated as I LOVE DVD Decrypter and would hate to have to use something else all the time to backup my games.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2005
  2. steimy

steimy Active member

In step #3 did you mean to say you swiched it to ISO Write?

3. vividos1

vividos1 Guest

DOH! yes I did, fixed it....stupid typos ;p

4. steimy

steimy Active member

If it is a DVD based game then you are doing everything right, i know that doesn't help you but it could be soooooo many things.
    Bad media is one of the most common but i used TDK 4X DVD-R discs and they work fine.
    What speed are the TDK discs you use?
    4X and 8X work best.
    Also what version PS2 do you have. (V1,V4,V7,V9 ect...)
    also have you backed this game up before and had it work?
    Have you opened up the ISO with ISO Buster to make sure it does not have any garbage/dummy/junk files that need to be dealt with?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2005
  5. sui-cyco

sui-cyco Regular member

you have a mod chip,that makes it hard for you to use someone elses ps2 to check to see if your backups are to blame.a good advantage to having swap magic is the fact you can use swap magic on someone elses ps2 to see if its your ps2 or the backups that is the problem.but anyway,the only thing i can think of that could be wrong with your backup is it could be a cd based game:blue discs are cd and silver is dvd.what sounds like the problem is that most mod chips have a way to turn them on or off.it usually involves pushing the reset button in a certain way.i dont have mod chip so i couldnt tell you how this works exactly.

6. vividos1

vividos1 Guest

Yeah the Media is 8x TDK DVD-R.

I've made other back up's since then now with Copying the image to my HD with DVD Decryter and then burning the image with Alcohol.

I did try to do one with Nero Express 6...Tekken 5. I made an image with Nero and then Burnt it to same blank media (its a DVD game too) and it works...but very slowly compaired to the orginal....takes 2-3x as long to load at the beginning and between rounds etc....

I decided to 'restore' the system defaults on DVD Decrypter and see if that makes a difference...

My PS2 is a V9.

I'll let yas know how this current backup goes...but otherwise I just can't figure it for the life of me. The mod chip is working well...almost too well :) *knocks on wood*. It plays orginals, PS1 games, ps1 backups etc just fine. And it plays the Spyro backup i did with the DVD Decrypter/Alochol combo just fine. I just wanna use one program, is that too much to ask for ;p

7. LiquidusX

LiquidusX Regular member

try a higher write speed, different burner and/or a better media. tdk is crap. i have some they're cmc mag e01. get mcc or tyg

8. KJK!LL£R

KJK!LL£R Regular member

Which file are you supposed to burn? the iso or the mds or put both in a folder and burn them?

9. KJK!LL£R

KJK!LL£R Regular member

My ps2 is a V9 and i am having the same problem! It dosn't play any of the backups that i have tried to make but it plays cracked ps2 games perfectly!

10. dani21p

dani21p Guest

Im having a similar problem too ive also been using dvd decrypter for almost 2 yrs now and its has never given me any problem till now it wont detect any of the disc I insert in my hardrive then my comoputer will freeze completely, I also noticed that dvd43 was acting up im not sure if it has to do with that so I uninstalled it but it was still freezing on me I need some help bad I have no idea what could be causing the problem, I have the latest dvd decrypter program also tried uninstalling it then reinstalling it but nothing seems to work.The only programs i have on these xp computer is I copy dvds2, dvd43, and dvd decrypter.