1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Odd problem with sammy **FIXED**

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by itchytoes, Jun 18, 2011.

1. itchytoes

itchytoes Guest

Hi, I have an old (2006) ms28 sammy drive which has problems reading real xbox 360 games. Original games that are put in almost always read as "play DVD". This drive has absolutely no problems reading burnt media (Verbatum or Memorex). The drive makes a crunching/grinding noise when starting.

The xbox was originally modded to ixtreme 1.4 (by someone else), and this was when the problem started but it has gotten worse as time goes on. I have since updated to 1.6, 1.61, back to stock, and then to LT+ 1.9.
    I have tried to do a pot fix, the original # was 3.75 on a 20k setting and I brought it down to 3.45. This has not produced any results at all.

The console was banned when I was on ixtreme 1.61. I have 3 other boxes so I'm not really too concerned about this one but want to fix it. I am willing to try almost anything, I just don't want to spend any money on it.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this?

I have messed around with this drive for quite a while now and believe I have finally fixed it. What I did was move the laser closer to the center without moving the drive shaft. All of my games work now and the drive no longer makes any grinding sounds.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2011
  2. 360lifer

360lifer Regular member

I had a sammy drive before and even with a brand new drive it was picky at times. Only thing I could suggest is getting a new laser or a new drive. Shouldn't cost very much at all.