1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

odd WinXP account permision / Azureus issue

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by nevynfire, Mar 4, 2007.

1. nevynfire

nevynfire Member

Basic problem: I usually work on a modified user account for everything, and used to have Azureus working fine (port forwarding, green smiley, yada). Had to use my original WinXP cd to repair my Windows installation, then run windowsupdate a zillion times to get fully back up do date with SP2 and such. Didn't actually lose any data though. Now I only get yellow smileys and the bottom right corner of Azureus has a red dot and "Firewalled".

Now the tricky bit: I actually get green smileys when I run Azureus on my Administrator account, but not on the user account. The port forwarding is set up and working. The settings in Azureus are the same on both accounts, and on both accounts the NAT test is successful. No problems accessing the internet from the user account for any other purpose (websurfing, online gaming, downloading).

The problem seems to be a permission thing on the user account, and I'm just out of my depth.

Other relevent? data:
    DSL Modem: Westell 2200
    Firewall: Windows Firewall, exceptions set up for azureus.exe and the forwarded port.
    Azureus: v. 2.5.0.4

2. billybob

billybob Regular member

Go to

Start - Control panel - user accounts - user accounts (again)

Check the permissions are exactly the same. If they arent, try giving the account (that u have the problem on) Administrator settings, and see if that solves it? Worth a shot.

3. nevynfire

nevynfire Member

I am familiar with account permissions in general (disk access and such), I was the one who set them up originally. As far as I can tell, they are unchanged. I don't know anything about account permisions as they relate to internet access, however.

Adding administrator permissions is not a workable solution because it defeats the purpose of running P2P file sharing, etc on a limited account. I did try it though, just to see if it would work, and strangely, it did not. Apparently the permissions are not exactly the problem. I've no idea what might be different about the account to cause this though. ::sigh::

4. billybob

billybob Regular member

And there ends my knowledge in the matter....because i have no experience with your torrent client....only experience with the operating system.

Sorry mate..i did try.

5. DVDBack23

DVDBack23 Administrator Staff Member

not to patronize...but why not just use the admin account when using torrents?

6. billybob

billybob Regular member

If it isnt the man who made my sig. hows it goin mate?

I assumed there was a security reason he wanted to use a normal user account..

7. DVDBack23

alls good, gotta a fancy new title now :)
    Almost spring break, and i need it ;)

How bout you?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2007
  8. billybob

billybob Regular member

Yeh im good thanks!! Had a busy few months, so i havent been on much, but im addicted again!! woo!

Congrats on making staff member...how much did that cost you?? :p haha just kidding.

Now u can tell me about the secret staff room...with the jacuzzis and the evil plans...muahaha.

9. DVDBack23

actually im off to take a dip in the staff room jacuzzi right now, adios ;)

10. nevynfire

nevynfire Member

Not to hijack my own thread... :p

The problem is now afficting all of my accounts, admin included. Apparently it's not exactly a permissions thing. I'm not sure what could be causing it, since I'm sure the port forwarding is working.

11. nevynfire

nevynfire Member

Followed the link in your sig and tried uTorrent. It seems to be working properly. /me shrugs
    One question, broadband reports tweaks/Dr. TCP/Adapter Settings: I have 2 listed, and I'm not sure which I should be tweaking the MTU on.

1394 Net Adapter
    Intel(R) PRO/1000 CT Network Connection