1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OEM FIRMWARE

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by DAVAR, Dec 29, 2004.

1. DAVAR

DAVAR Member

I HAVE PIONEER OEM 108 16X DOES ANY ONE KNOW HOW TO UPDATE THIS MACHINE WITH THE NEW FIRMWARE 1.14 OR 1.18 DONT WHICH IS THE BEST I ONLY BURN MY OWN MOVIES
    THANKS FOR ANY HELP

2. JanetMac

JanetMac Member

Hi DAVAR,
    I am hoping you have your email notification box checked.
    Did you ever get an answer regarding your OEM Pioneer 108 firmware else where?
    My DVR-108 came with a Sony Vaio pc and Sony has not been any help. It has firmware 1.00. I am not sure if that is a pioneer firmware or not. Probably not because Pioneer said the firmware download on their site would not work. (I tried it once and it couldn't locate the drive)I am new to all this, but my burner is having problems with TDK (media code: TTG02). Pioneer recommends this Particular media code so I figure it must be out dated firmware.

3. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Try this site for firmware. They usually have hacked firmware with better upgrade features but usually list OEM firmware too.

http://www.rpc1.com.

Hope this helps helps you both.
    Also download dvdinfopro which will tell you info on the drive as to manufacturer and firmware version.

http://www.dvdinfopro.com.

Good luck.

Jerry

Last edited: Jan 26, 2005
  4. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

No all caps. Forum rules.

5. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

The free download of dvdinfopro expired at the first of the new year. I don't think there's a new "free" version available yet. At least I haven't seen it if it does exist.

6. JanetMac

JanetMac Member

I updated dvdinfopro after the new year.
    If you use the above link just click on the purple "download now," on the right hand side of the page.
    On the next page you are given a choice of 3 downloads. The last one is the free version. It states that it expires 1/02/05 but when you click on it, the download box displays. It was January when I updated mine. At that time I thought I remember it saying expires 1/01/05. I could be mistaken though. In any case, I was able to successfully download it after the stated expiration date.

7. Weirdo007

Weirdo007 Regular member

@ DAVAR

Your best and safest bet IMO is to go to your drive manufacturer's site (Pioneer in your case) and get your firmware from there. Other than that it's only a matter of matching your drive type up with what updates they offer. A warning however.... make DAMN sure you are getting the right firmware for your drive. "Almost" or "Close" won't cut it, you must match the two dead on. Failure to do this could result in destroying the functionality of your burner, rendering it useless.

8. JanetMac

JanetMac Member

Weirdo007,
    I believe what DAVAR was asking,(and it is what I was asking) is what firmware do we use being that we have OEM models of the DVR-108?

When I attempted Pioneer's update, I received a message: can not find drive (or something to that effect)

My burner came preinstalled in a Sony Vaio pc.
    I called Sony, and after checking their (Sony's) website for an update the support person told me to try Pioneer's firmware (even after i told him I had already tried and it wouldn't work). It seemed as though he was able to tell exactly what firmware file I had downloaded to my pc. (Does the manufacturer have access to their customers pc?)

I then called Pioneer. They specifically said, not to use their update. I was told to get updates from Sony.

Does this mean I am going to have to use DVRFlash?
    That seems complicated and I don't want to void my warranty.

A while back I did see a firmware update for the
    DVR-108(OEM). It was written just like that. Now as much as I search I can't find it!

Also, what I can't understand about that is would'nt the firmware in an OEM model be different depending on who the product was purchased from?
    Or does the original manufacturer (in my case Pioneer) supply the product with the original firmware?
    ie, who put the firmware that is in my burner there? Sony or Pioneer?

9. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member