1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OEM software license

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by GrayArea, Dec 13, 2004.

1. GrayArea

GrayArea Member

I've seen sites that sell OEM software with hardware purchase required. If I buy a copy of Nero that is not bundled with a burner drive by the manufacturer will Ahead consider this to be a legitimate license? Has anybody had experience with buying "unbundled" OEM software?

2. GrayArea

GrayArea Member

Thanks...

3. colw

colw Active member

To the best of my knowledge OEM (Original Equipment Manufaturer) can only be sold with the hardware for which it was intended.

You will normally find with OEM software such as Nero that not all functions will be available and some disabled.

The licence number will normally be accepted as there is no way of them knowing what hardware was purchased with. However, if the software is crippled (as with Nero) you will still need to purchase an upgrade for the full version.

4. GrayArea

GrayArea Member

Thanks colw,
    That's what I kind of expected (suspected?).
    Sorry 'bout slow reply. I live in dial-up land...

P.S. I've been having good results burning DVDs using the DeepBurner freeware app. It ain't no Nero but it's free and works fine if the video data you are burning already conforms to the standard DVD folder/file layout. Authored I suppose you'd say... I'm new to this digital viddy stuff...

5. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Yes :)

6. GrayArea

GrayArea Member

Hmmm.... Now what to do? Thanks much for the feedback. If I decide to try the OEM route I'll post the results.