1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OEM vs Retail, What is the Difference and other questions...

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by Weirdo007, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Weirdo007

Weirdo007 Regular member

I have an eMachines computer that came pre-installed with Win XP Home Edition. The motherboard went belly up, i have a new one and some other parts on order to get it up and running again and have a few questions.

Ok, my computer came with a Win XP Home "restore CD" that only works with the mobo that came with my busted computer, because of the chipset and driver issues, I know that... My first question is, is it possible to separate the cabinet files from the restore CD and load ONLY Win XP Home onto the HDD (quick point to make: I am replacing the stock HDD with a completely new one, Seagate Barracuda ES 320GB drive so it will be completely blank...) without the drivers for the busted mobo?

If not, I am wanting to get Win XP Pro OEM VERSION for the added business apps it has, and I want to know, aside from the obvious price difference, what is the difference between the OEM version and the retail version?
    Is it an issue with the licensing? An important point i should make is that I am not technically a "system builder" but I do possess enough know-how to rebuild my system from a hardware standpoint. Since I do not have a volume license, if I installed Win XP Pro, then registered it with the COA code, IF for some reason I had to reinstall it at a later time, would the COA code still be good (ie. could it be re-used by me on the same computer, or on a different computer if the same thing happened like the mobo went out again) and would it still be eligible for updates from Microsoft?

Or is it a one shot deal, one install, one time to register it and that's it if I have to reinstall it again I'm screwed by Microsoft?

Hope I was clear enough I tend to ramble sometimes,. thxs in advance to all who can help me clear this up. ^^

Last edited: Feb 7, 2007
  2. bkf

bkf Guest

OEM - Original Equipment Manufacturer
    OEM software is a full version (non-upgrade) which includes the CD-ROM and the product key codes. These elements are all you will need to load and run the software. The software runs exactly the same way as the full retail version (including automatic updates). The differences between OEM Vs Retail Box are:
    1. OEM does not come in a retail box.
    2. OEM is always licensed for one computer.
    3. OEM is not transferable.
    4. OEM cannot be used to upgrade.
    5. Manufacturer does not supply free technical support or installation support for OEM.

3. Weirdo007

Weirdo007 Regular member

thxs much for the fast answer, that really got me closer to understanding the difference between OEM and retail. My biggest concern with it was the transferability which you seem to have addressed for me. ^^
    So in nutshell, if say I installed the software, then at some future point my mobo fries on me again and I had to change it again, I could NOT reinstall XP Pro with the new mobo, I would need to buy another software set? On that same note, can I install it as many times as I want on the SAME mobo setup? Is the retail version transferable?

4. bkf

bkf Guest

The interesting part is microsoft never asks you if you changed computers. Thet just ask if the orginal has been deleated. My XP has been on 3 different motherboards / systems one at a time. If they ever did ask just tell them you changed hard drives and added memory or a new network card.

5. Weirdo007

Weirdo007 Regular member

That's true, i think I read something along those lines in the EULA, that like as long as you only have have one copy of it up and running at any given time, they really don't care. Thxs much bkf, you're help has been invaluable. ^^

6. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

I also have an Emachines and have had to replace the motherboard so my original Restore disc are useless ? I like Win Xp and am afraid that if my Original 40GB C drive crashes ! I'll have to buy a new Copy of Win XP or Win XP pro - My quandry is if my C drive last another several months I may not be able to find a Legit copy anyways and I don't want Bootleg Windows ! So as I understand what your saying is on The OEM versions of Win XP & XP Pro - The transerability issue is if I activate it and my hard drive dies I can't load that copy on another computer or a new hard drive for the same computer? and with retail I can as long as only one computer is activated ? is that about it ?

7. gallagher

gallagher Regular member

NOt always true. I bought an OEM Windows Vista Ultimate and upgraded the previous OS. The moment I put it in, it asked, do you want to upgrade current system or overwrite everything.