1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official 3.80 Firmware downgrade

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by ibizagti, Feb 12, 2008.

1. ibizagti

ibizagti Regular member

Hi

I've been looking into this on and off for about a week or so now, and cant seem to find a definitive answer, even through searching forum posts.

I have a new PSP slim, which is running the Official 3.80 firmware from Sony, and I am interested in installing a custom firmware (I hear the ones by D_A are the most popular?) so that I can backup my games and not have to carry all my UMD's around with me.

I understand that this is possible if I have access to a old PSP with 1.50 FW installed, but unfortunately I don't have access to any other PSP at all that aren't running the official 3.80 FW. Also, I would prefer not to buy a Pandora's battery off Ebay etc, as I understand many of them turn out to be fakes!

So basically, I am wondering if there is any way that I can do this at all? Any information, or links to guides etc will be very appreciated!

IBIZAGTI

2. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

Look into "hard-modding" your battery if you don't want to have to buy a Pandora Battery ready made, or buy a DATEL Tool Battery, which does the same job, but can be bought from sites you can trust.

3. ibizagti

ibizagti Regular member

thanks for the reply.

So there is no way to downgrade without a battery?

I've managed to find a TOOL battery for around £13 from a reputable site, which id much rather buy than hardmod my own battery.

Thanks again,IBIZAGTI

4. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

Above 3.50 and a Pandora is your only option.

Once you've got the TOOL Battery, you'll need to make a "Magic Memory Stick" (The newest version being dubbed UPMS), there are guides on here about how to make it using an official firmware PSP, it usually also only works on PCs running XP.

5. ibizagti

ibizagti Regular member

OK,that's great, thanks for the info.
    I will order the TOOL tomorrow, and then use the sticky's and guides on here to downgrade then install the custom firmware.

On another note, what size memory sticks do you recommend for running the backups? I understand game backups are close to 1gb in size, so anything under 2gb wouldn't be much use. Is 4gig the best option, as i read that some firmwares don't support memory cards bigger than this??

Thanks again,
    IBIZAGTI

6. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

I have a 4GB and can usually fit about 6-8 games on it at a time, you don't really need more. If you wanted to get an 8GB then you could, but some people have a couple of problems with them and they're more expensive than just buying two 4GBs.