1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official Sony 3.03 update bricked PSP

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by spinergy, Feb 9, 2007.

1. spinergy

spinergy Member

I was going to downgrade my mates PSP for him last night using the new 3.03 downgrader, I have already done 2 using this method, I keep 2 spare memory cards, a 32mb with the official sony 3.03 update and a 1 GB with HEN, the Downgrader and 3.03 OE-C, so I don't have to mess about transfering files its just a case of inserting memory cards and pressing a few buttons, anyway the PSP bricked but not during the downgrade nor the update to 3.03 OE-C, it happened during the "Official" Sony 3.03 update, the unit was fully charged and plugged in to the mains I was upgrading from 2.81, the update ran as normal, got to 99% then shut off, so now when turning on again it displays a green light for 5 or so seconds then turns off, I would say that was a brick, anyone else heard of this happening with the official update, bearing in mind this same update on the same memory card had already updated 2 PSP's with no problem

2. hexitnow

hexitnow Active member

stuff like that will happen. but it's a good idea to not do that because there is so many things could interfere with the files integrity.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2007
  3. spinergy

spinergy Member

the memory cards are kept in a nice solid hard case so they are protected, but just as an update to this I have just used the same memory card to update my sister's boyfriend's PSP bought for him for his birthday (not yet opened or given to him) and it worked fine, had I have read your reply before doing this I would have formatted the memory card and started new, so I guess the integrity of the file is uncompromised

4. hodgins91

hodgins91 Regular member

well if its still under warranty you could claim as you were upgrading to an official firmware. ring up sony and explain what happened

5. spinergy

spinergy Member

Thank you for the advice hodgins91, however, the problem has already been resolved using the non-claiming - instantaneous method, I’ll say no more :)

Again this new PSP has also been updated using the same memory card and same update file, I guess the fault must have been within the now bricked PSP itself, although the original firmware of the bricked PSP was 2.00 so it had been updated successfully to 2.81 prior to this

Last edited: Feb 10, 2007
  6. hodgins91

hodgins91 Regular member

i think i understand your method of getting a new one ;)

7. amos836

amos836 Member

My son was upgrading the psp itsaid failed and he hit cancel and thescreen went blank. Now when you turn it on the little green light comes on for 5 seconds and goes out the screen stays off. Is it what you all called bricked and is there anything he can do. Thanks so much..

8. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member

Yes, that's a brick. If you are still under waranty, go to the shop you bought it and get a new one. If not, you either have to get a modchip (80-100$ the modchip + around 80$ building it into the PSP, if you find a shop that does the build in) or a new motherboard (80 $ as much as I know, building it into the PSP is quite easy, you could do it yourself). Or you could sell the bricked PSP on ebay buy a new one.

9. shapengot

shapengot Guest

can somebody pllllsssssss tell me the method to getting a new psp?

i upgraded with a game and it got bricked!! men and i wasnt eventrying to downgrade, pls help!