1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Og modded Xbox q

Discussion in 'Xbox 360' started by Coreyw, Dec 24, 2016.

1. Coreyw

Coreyw Newbie

hello. First post here. I have an og Xbox (sorry didn't see a forum specific to the original) and it's modded with executer2 and I have it set to boot to Xbmc 360 dash. I have had no issues. I opened it up and swapped DVD drives then went ahead and removed the tray for the hdd and snooped around. I cleaned up some dust and put it all back together. I did not disconnect anything on the hdd. Now it boots fine but my games folder and apps folder are blank on the dash. I can see and launch anything through the file manager section though. Is there a setting I can use to get my stuff visible in the dash again? Thanks.

2. Coreyw

Coreyw Newbie

Also I should add that I can not access any settings specific to the hdd like fan speed, temp, video or anything.

3. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

I'm not sure how you no longer have access to the directories & i'm loath to speculate.Its excellent/lucky you can get to them by file manager.

I'd recommend backing up C & Perhaps E partition (not any games just boot files) including eeprom

there is a new OS updated for the xbox called xbmc4xbox,you can run it as an app rather than your boot dash (see at end of post for the source site)

Your loss of the directories is weird to say the least & i have no idea why it's happened however adding them back is easy & is done by adding source.

However i suspect it may be a cache issue ? or just a corrupted copy of 360 blades.Since it's only a skin i reckon install a fresh copy of your current xbmc named say test xbmc.once installed boot into it & add your sources to 360 blades,if all goes well you will now have your games back.At this point i think it best you get specialized help,so make yourself at home at the site i list below,then copy/paste your first post & also link to this topic

go here for all thing's original xbox
    http://www.theisozone.com/

lastly regardless of any advice "DO NOT DELETE ANYTHING WITHOUT BACKING UP FIRST" unless it's games & make no alterations to partitions unless you know what your doing

edit: when it comes to changing stuff on my xbox's i don't delete,i usually just copy to a folder i name backups then rename those copy's (then test run them,if everything's fine then i delete the source) always be aware you can't copy/move anything while it is in use,hence having a spare copy of xbmc in another location or the same location but with a different name

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
  4. Coreyw

Coreyw Newbie

That's a great reply. Thank you. I wanted to try to boot outside of xbmc but realized xbmc is called evodash on this box. The only other dash it has is the Xbox original. So I then found a tutorial about xbmc troubleshooting. It says I can reset xbmc during boot by clicking in on both sticks. I will try this later as I suspect the issue is xbmc. Also I can't truly pinpoint how this happened. I've realized I haven't used the hdd lately. My son was playing PlayStation 4 or 5 days ago and that's the last time it ran from hdd. In other words I haven't looked in the folders for several play cycles. Fingers crossed I can reset xbmc to default settings. I bought this thing all set up, I will be seeking help if a xbmc reset doesn't work. I should note, when I open up games from xbmc 360 dash it shows 55 items but nothing populated. When I open any type of setting the screen shows the words " soften" and another word. I have no interactivity with it at that point and have to back out. If I go through the file manager everything is there. I can launch any default.xbe file no problem.

5. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Yeah evodash.xbx (never had this xbx open in a text editor of any kind nor the config file,however i suspect one of them points to E,F,G folders that i list in 2nd paragraph & searches for the xbmc folder that should be named XBMC depending how it was setup) is most probably just the short cut in C partition that executes xbmc in E,F or G depending where on the hdd you have it installed (in other words so long as it's in the correct folder location i.e Apps on any partition or all it will boot so long as the xbmc folder is named correctly) .this is a good time to explore your partitions & folders to get an idea of the layout including the naming & locations of whats what

in other words evodash looks in e,f & g for a folder lets say called apps,it then searches for a folder called xbmc,then it looks for evodash.xbx.Once it'd found the evodash.xbx executable (you know it window's as a.exe) xbmc will now execute it is no different to how a pc operates

E,F partitions & finally G if you have it will most likely have 1 of these folders called Program/s or Apps or Applications.This is where xbmc would normally reside,it should be called XBMC in up or lower case.

the 360 blades skin is just that just a skin,it can be changed under appearance.when it comes to doing any work on the files & folders i switch to project mayhem III SE.it's in the link below,in later updated versions of xbmc4xbox it still works fine except only on the home window,when you scroll the writing disappears,other than that i think you'll find it most useful more so than any other skin

xbmc is nothing more than a portable app which means you can execute another copy from another location for testing purposes on the xbox,the links below have:
    1-all the skns i have collected including 360 blades with all the themes i.e spiderman etc (don't forget to add project mayhem III SE to your xbmc skins folder if it's not there ) not all skins may work,don't panic if you can't get back to the previous skin,this is where AID comes in with it's file manager (just delete the buggered skin)
    2-xbmc4xbox 3.5
    3-AID 4.0 with the AID 4.5 update incorporated into an ISO image (A live CD for setting up the xbox partitions & software including tools to explore & add software )
    5 - tutorial for xbmc

https://mega.nz/#F!LR1UhTKC!4T2kPjy5r9HRXii6GoegKg

https://mega.nz/#F!GVtnHCrB!sJue_VSZqe7EGWdA64hwLg

The only concern i have for you is whether you have another hdd with a backup of all your games & C ,E partitions if your intending to keep this xbox.imo you should make it a priority to backup not to mention getting a minimum of a 1.5tb hdd ready to install to the xbox it can be a 2.5" seagate expansion,the reason i say this is your hdd now ain't big enough...:p,well i suspect you don't have coinops yet,ok it only takes up 60gb perhaps 70,however the iso site has hundreds of xbox games for download

that word soften you see is in the settings of the xbmc skin in use at the time; all it does is soften the screen.I usually don't bother with it.The skin you have is corrupted.Once you have another copy of xbmc installed as a spare,boot into it you can then delete the 360 skin from the folder of the faulty xbmc.Assuming there's other skins in that folder,when you boot back into it you should now be on a different skin.Whether or not there's still issues then it's possible your original xbmc folder contents is corrupted or the UDATA etc folders may need to be deleted (don't do this till someone who knows what they're doing tells you too,as i have no idea how to fix your issue apart from deleting xbmc & replacing it with either the same version or later) for me it's not an issue as doing so doesn't affect the xbox nor it's games even if i have to delete the udata & tdata,so long as the games folders are left alone.this is where another hdd would come in handy as you could use it & the AID disc to play around & see what you can & shouldn't do,for the most part tho,so long as you have the partitions it's possible to use the aid disc to setup the folder structure of E,F & G then install apps that you want including a stable version of xbmc.Chances are AID wasn't used to set up your xbox originally so you can go ahead & have AID auto install the folders,then you can manually add the applications you want.Again backup before making changes & steer clear of the partitioner or any formatting or words to that effect as this will wipe out everything.Setting up auto folder structure is safe to do,again a spare hdd would be better to practice on,add some stuff from your original hdd (ftp from xbox to pc with filezilla using binary mode),you don't need games just everything else in c,e,f & g) then transfer back to the practice hdd once you've used AID on it & set up partitions with the partitioner or the auto setup partitions for hardmod,you'll have a better idea of whats what & isn't as hard as it first appears

edit: open the xbox & carefully & check all cables to & from hdd & dvd drive a seated

i'm disturbed there should be a corruption,it's hard to know if it's coincidence (you mention the hdd was left in cradle) or whether a wire was disturbed or if it's a bit more sinister & there's bad blocks on the platters themselves (surface of hdd is now no longer any good)

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
  6. Coreyw

Coreyw Newbie

Thanks guys for all the input. Tons of help. So, yeah the skin is corrupt. I was able to reset xbmc during boot. Under the stock skin, everything is A ok. If I switch back to 360 it's crap again. So the 360 skin died. That's totally fine with me. The skin doesn't really matter to me at all. I chose 360 thinking it would be familiar to me at the time. I'm gonna leave it alone for now. thanks again