1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*.OGM File Conversion

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by dgraham77, Mar 7, 2004.

1. dgraham77

dgraham77 Guest

Is it possible to convert an *.ogm file into a more common video file extension - such as avi or mpg - I have *.ogm files on my computer and have absolutely no clue how to get them to play - I have tried Windows Media Player but it doesn't seem to want to play - the player just shuts down on me.

If conversion is not possible, what codecs would be needed to get these files to play properly in this player?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

3. grayfox

grayfox Member

I tried lots of players and installed countless codecs. I tried this VirtualDub-1.5.10 and still nothing. All I get is a black screen and no sound, but no error. The Virtual Dub player couldn't even play .ogm files. I've tried the latest Divx, WMP, Foobar, and core media players. All gave me no results. I'm starting to think this DVDrip is just done badly. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well all OGM files are are XviD files with OGG Vorbis Audio, so if you have the XviD codec installed and the OGG Direct show Filter for the audio then you should be able to watch the file..I don"t know what else to say....

5. ipbasura

ipbasura Member

forget all this player.
    Install VIDEOLAND ( www.videoland.org) which is free and has all the codecs embeded. Works perfectly with OGM files.

6. grayfox

grayfox Member

Heh, since that post I did find out how to play my OGM files. The thing that upsets me about them now is that they're very shakey. The video shakes. Anyone know how to stop that?

7. fintalian

fintalian Member

you know i've come to the conclusion that OGM sucks. if it's suppposed to be better than regular avi. than why is it so hard to play them? i still have found how to do this after reading a dozen forums on this issue.

is there no one answer?

8. fintalian

fintalian Member

oh, and one more thing, after downloading
    Ogg DirectShow Filters i see it skips several .dll files. this may be a problem.

9. teegee420

teegee420 Regular member

Not necessarily true. I've seen several OGM files with Divx video.

If you are having problems with the video I would suggest installing FFDSHOW, as it decodes several mpeg-4 types including Divx/Xvid. If you don't want to use FFDSHOW, install the latest Koepi's build of Xvid found here: http://www.roeder.goe.net/~koepi/xvid.shtml

You should also install Direct Vobsub( http://www.topdownloads.net/software/view.php?id=9741 ) so you can display any subtitle streams the OGM might have.