1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oh Dear Lord - What bright Spark made Dela a Mod

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by Oriphus, Jul 17, 2003.

1. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

He's gonna pick on me now ;-)

Too much power for a nearly 17 Year Old Irish fella!! What is the world coming to. Im apologising up front on anything i do that pisses him off so he doesnt bar me, lol

Congrats anyway.

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

And what would you know of power? As far as I have seen, Dela's done a crapload of good here at aD -- and I've been here for the same amount of time as you (I'm not, in any way saying that you havnt done any good). The damn kid doesnt sleep for pete's sake! And not often do I see a post by him that isnt funny or informative. IMHO (and humble it is), he's got every right to be mod! He's gone through enough posts to qualify for the experience! Being jealous doesnt help anybody - least of all you. Jealously is such a simple emotion -- easily spotted and noted for what it is.

*** CANT WE ALL JUST GET ALONG ***__X_X_X_X_X_[small]ASUS A7V8X-X, AMD2500+
    Samsung 1024MB, PC2700
    360GB [3x120GB, 7200, 8MB]
    MSI Starforce, GeForce4 Ti4400 128MB

AFTERDAWN IRC: irc.emule-project.net, #ad_buddies
    COME SAY HI![/small]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2003
  3. Phantom

Phantom Member

Uh Ohh it is a fight between the the two Irish blokes

In one corner we have the powerful Dela being challenged by Orphus the killer whale

Who will when this battle?

Tune in and find out

4. ABMone

ABMone Guest

Dela Your still going to be making your usual posts right?
    or is there some kind of rule against that

5. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

like how could they stop him! for a guy with over 6000 psts, you kinda just step aside and move outta the way! Congrats man, you sure cover enough ground around here to make a damn good mod.

6. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

The only changing in my posts will be the ability to edit out crap that ppl post thats all, I will still be postig just like I always was!

darthnip, my friend, thnx for the kind words, you would make a hell of a mod too because I know from the IRC channel, if someone steps a cm over the line, they gone within seconds lol! ;-)

7. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

I did the decision, like ultimately I always do when selecting mods -- in some cases, democracy sucks ;-)

I think that Oriphus made his comments very much tongue-in-cheek (or whatever the English term for that one is..) and I kinda know what he means -- Dela (and I as well :) has bad moods every now and then.

Age is not an issue when selecting a mod, its more related to personal character. Some of our mods don't participate much on discussions, but actually do helluva good job on moderating conversations, pointing out guys that need to be kicked out, etc. And then there are guys like Oner and Dela who take very, very active role on forums. Both types of moderators are valuable from my point of view -- we get over 600 messages to our English forums a day and I have time to read about 20 of them each day, so I normally don't have a foggiest idea what's going on on forums without input from mods.

We have a good list of guys who are "prospective mods" in future when we need more guys to control the forums as we grow bigger -- I'm fairly certain that eventually we'll see the moment when we get over 1,000 msgs a day. In addition to overall helpfulness, obviously getting alogn with other users is one aspect that's important for mods -- and that is one part of mods' job that I've stressed quite a lot in the past.

Anyway, warm welcome to Dela to our team. It shouldn't change much of your normal forum activity, but you have s**tload of more little buttons here and there on forum pages ;-)

8. Dela

I have realised the extra links and it will take me a while stop looking for the reply link lol! But its cool! So far though I have only got 1 guy banned and edited about 10 messages to remove email addresses and stuff lol! When im bored i'll go hunting ;-)

As for this thread, maybe i took oriphus the wrong way and the guy was joking abut when it gets to "Congrats anyway." its like, what?? what u mean anyway?? u were serious??? lol!!

Still though, if anyone has a problem with it then speak up, i'm not gonna argue, i'm not always the nicest person on planet earth and i know it! lol

9. Phantom

Phantom Member

Yes Dela we all are inconsiderate at times that's unfortunately due to the fact that we are not perfect...I love you man!

You know you know!=)

You know my take on it.. Ohh dear Lord is not only a good title to this Forum but recognition we need Him in our daily lives! but you know that already Dela!
    :)

10. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Ok, not one person in this thread has a sense of humour, bar dRD who i think realised the way in which it was meant. Obviously what i said was light hearted humour. I like Dela and thing it waa good idea making him a mod. It was supposed to be a comical joke. I even said congrats. First person, outside of those in the know that did probably.

I know you weren't going to pick on me, that was part of the joke too!!!

Learnt a valuable lesson here today. Sense of humours are getting rightly diminished. You people should get out more.

;-)
    Chris

11. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

The fact is that using humor in online discussions is always difficult and chances of getting misunderstood are high, which is probably the one of the only reasons that I support face-2-face discussions anymore ;-)

12. Dela

Nah oriphus it does sound like you are dead serious, especially the congrats anyway! lol and i dont need to get out more either, whether u realise it or not i do actually have a life too ;-)

Phantom, ur crazy man ;-) now leave the german IRC users alone you big bully ;-)

dRD, humour?? yes i have noticed a serious drop of it in the forum and a huge increase in tension over the past few weeks. Everyone seems to be annoyed with everyone else, must be the summer spirit i guess!! Gotta get back to the work/school time when everyone is annoyed and come online to cheer up ;-) Ah well, could be worse i guess, we could be dead ;-)

13. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Ok, as long as you know Dela that it was mean't as good natured humour :)

On a completely seperate note, could you take a look at this thread and post if you have an answer for it. I've had a similar problem with Red Dwarf:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/42511

Cheers.

P.S. I didnt mean get out more as in get a life. I meant, get some fresh air and relax and that'll help us all calm down a bit ;-) Bar-b-que for me tonight. Yeeha> Sirloin steak and spuds!

14. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

I guess we can all get along after all.... apologies if I seemed to be slightly explosive.... must be the summer (me hates heat... and light....and food... and water... where's ma hole?!)
    Cheers to all.

Aye... me notice that as well_X_X_X_X_X_[small]ASUS A7V8X-X, AMD2500+
    Samsung 1024MB, PC2700
    360GB [3x120GB, 7200, 8MB]
    MSI Starforce, GeForce4 Ti4400 128MB

AFTERDAWN IRC: irc.emule-project.net, #ad_buddies
    COME SAY HI![/small]

15. Dela

Ah forget it, nobody needs to be grouchy with anyone else, we're all friends here, even though it does seem like some ppl are literally out to get at you ahem herbsman ahem ahem lol!

Nah myself and herbsman get along great, just recently he decided to dislike me a little on a thread, which is ok by me of course. I would never have let it hit as high as me and joninio or oriphus and rob! lol, just aint worth it at all, its a horrible sight on a forum and it causes so much tension! So as far as I'm concerned, I havent got any problem with herbsman, probably just crossed each other on a bad day ;-) lol

16. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

yes i've also noticed high tension in the threads. not sure why, but it seems alot of junior members and members tend to be kind of harsh with the newbies, when explaining the rules to them. maybe if we see something like that going on, it might be a good idea to PM that jr or member and just say 'hey, lighten up a bit, or something. I know i've been rough on some newbies someimes when i shouldn't have been, but we all know what kind of mood it puts you in when you sift thru 100 "can i play burnt games without a mod chip" questions everyday. still thats no excuse. I'm going to make it a goal of minie to use this vacation to relax and come back a happy camper. soooo my friends, i'll see you in a week or so, play nice, behave, dont let your meat loaf, and Phantom, god bless you :)

17. Dela

Ok Dad!! ;-)

Take care on your holiday ok, ill take care of the newbies!! ;-)

18. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Congrats Dela,
    Now my comment about being on 24 7 in other thread, will actually be true. I bet you can feel the power flowing through your finger tips. To be honest with your posts I was surprised you weren`t a Mod earlier.

Remember, Get some sleep at least once a month and don`t just eat Tuna.

19. Dela

HAHA, I sleep enough I assure you, except for last night where i got 0 hours sleep! I will sleep like a baby tonight :)

20. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

There we're all happy campers again. As for me and Rob, lol, my problem with his attitude was solved by some mod or admin dude. ;-)

Old Herbsmans all right, he be chillin. I dont think he is trying to irritate you, or you are trying to irritate him, just a difference in opinions.