1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oh good, I killed my 6700

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by Jake., Mar 14, 2005.

1. damillz

damillz Member

Yep, I found the info in the end and that was the difference. I personally found the whole firmware update process extremely simple
    and am very glad I did it (the improvements make it well worthwhile).

I am very surprised that nobody has posted a pinout for the cable used to re-flash the unit. I found some site where somebody who clearly didn't understand what he was actually talking about says you have to mutilate a mobile phone cable. Why couldn't he buzz it through and let us make one?

Anyway, thanks for the info Wam, the yamada box is much better now

2. peterpan1

peterpan1 Member

damillz, did u do the update then?

I tried from Type A to Type B and it, understandably died.
    I then tried from the original firmware v1 to Type B (as advised) and it died on me again... :(

Conclusion: Type B DOESNT work. Furthermore, I definetely considered myself experienced, uptil now :) I flashed the older model - 6600 - multiple times and never had any problems...

End result: sending one of them back, I just bought it, under warranty. The other one gona try, at some point, to make the neccessary cable...

3. damillz

damillz Member

Yes, I used the type A, as I was packed bitstream and I don't care about the "NTSC bug" (or even know what it is!) since I live in England (PAL).

I just followed the following:

* Burn at 4x or lower
    * Finalize the disc
    * Use track-at-once
    * Make sure you remove the disc when the tray is ejected

And it worked fine. I did notice that the ISO I downloaded had a large dummy file in. I remember I used to have to do that to knock up the TOC size when reflashing the old xbox. Don't know if that (or the lack of it) is causing some people issues. I still want to see a pin-out for this cable if anyone knows where to find it (or wants to buzz one through).

4. Wam7

Wam7 Member

Glad it worked o.k for you damillz! :) For the V2 Newage firmware it does say to make sure that you flash from a player with the original V1 software and even gives you a link to it. It didn't say this for the V3 but I would still hold it to be true.

My player came with the official V1 so I didn't have to down flash it.

There's only one tiny problem that I have now and that is when you press the rewind once during an Xvid file, instead of it rewinding at 2x it does it something like 16x. Forwarding is fine. Is this the same for you guys?

5. micsten

micsten Member

I followed all instructions to update to the V3 unofficial update.

I had previously installed the V2 official firmware, so I down flashed it to version 1 just to make sure that there wouldn't be any conflicts.

Everything seemed to be going well, I successfully downflashed it to V1. I restarted the player and put the unofficial V3 Type A disc in that I had made inexactly the same way using the same ISO settings and speed as the official V1 that had just worked.

It seemed to upgrade ok. I got a Blue Screen with a nice image of the player on screen. but then.. nothing. The player locked up with 'Closed' written on lcd of player.

I eventually restarted it after waiting for about 30 mins. Now it gets stuck with 'Loading' in display of player. - i cannot get any buttons to work on player. Although blue screen with nice image is still there to taunt me!

Any hope i can salvage it. if not.. anyone recommend a really could xvid compatable player? - i have been looking at the Eltax DV-251 DivX DVD Player

[[bold]EDIT[/bold]] I just sorted the problem. After turning the dvd player on, then just as it is 'booting' up, I kept clicking the open-tray button and hey presto, it opened tray and is now working with the update installed!! [[bold]/EDIT[/bold]]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2005
  6. micsten

micsten Member

Hi again.
    I just bought another dvd-6700x for a freind. I wish to upgrade this player to the v.3 update, but i notice some differences in the design of the player.

The player now has 'Chili' written on the front of it and a slightly different display panel.

Will the upgrade still work on this player?

also..
    How can i find out if this is true of the player i just bought?

thanks,
    Micsten

7. mackdl

mackdl Regular member

@micsten,

Your player may already have the new firmware. Sometimes, even a month's difference in production can bring updates. I also know with my Toshiba, pressing a few buttons on my remote will bring up a screen telling me what firmware I have. Do a search on google.

BTW A word of advice - I don't normally advocate extended warranties, but on dvd players - YES. These can be purchased for very little, as players are generally not that expensive, extended warranties are priced according to the retail purchase. Updating the firmware can then be done at a service depot with no charge to the consumer. No risk to you killing your player.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2005
  8. micsten

micsten Member

Thanks for the response mackdl,

I have looked through every available menu within the setup area of the player, no mention of which firmware version is installed.. also no mention in the manual.

I have also googled for an answer as to how to find out, but as yet, with no joy.

Has anyone tried updating the 'DVD 6700X Chili' dvd player with the V3 Newage firmware?

I am assuming that that the player is the same as my old(ish) Yamada dvx 6700 but with new name and front. - and as mackdl mentioned, possibly updated firmware.

Any help on this would be great, as I'am holding off trying the update until I get some advice off someone 'in-the-know' - like i said before, I bought it for a freind and would hate to kill it, then have to give him mine!

thanks,
    Micsten

9. mackdl

mackdl Regular member

Last edited: Oct 18, 2005
  10. micsten

micsten Member

Hi, thanks for the help mackdl.

I emailed the Yamada support team. This is what they replied:
    For other people who wish to upgrade the 'DVD 6700X Chili' dvd player with the New Age V.3 firmware:

I followed the same procedure as I did with my old(ish) Yamada divx-6700 player..

First downgraded to official v.1 firmware, found at:
    http://newage.mpeg4-players.info/yamada/6700/mtk6700v1x.zip
    (making sure to remove the cd from the player as soon as is ejected, then waited for player to restart of it's own accord)

Restarted player after downgrade complete and then installed the New Age v.3 firmware, found at:
    http://newage.mpeg4-players.info/yamada/6700/NAv3/custom/Yamada6700_NewAge_v3_CP1252.rar
    (making sure to remove the cd from the player as soon as is ejected, then waited for player to restart of it's own accord)

The player seemed to lock-up on me after install of New Age v.3, so I unplugged the player for 5 mins, then plugged in again and it's working fine now.

Many .avi (XviD encoded) files play much better now.. I tested several before i upgraded and many of the files 'jumped' as if missing frames. After upgrade all .avi files tested play fine.

Hope this helps someone and thanks for the help again mackdl,
    Micsten

Last edited: Oct 19, 2005
  11. Wam7

Wam7 Member

The 'jumping files' were packed bitstream xvid files. The New Age v3 firmware plays them much better than the previous firmware that came with your player so Yamada aren't being fully factual in there response.

Could you please rewind an Xvid file and see if the 2x rewind is more like a 16x speed.

12. muna_28

muna_28 Member

I have Yamada 6700 first edition dec. 2004 came with the first firmware.. i updated in fabuary this year 2005 with orginal firmware v2 to fix ff/fw bug .. yes it fixed it but i had another problem viewing xvid files with cutting picture !!
    then after the coming of new age v3 i update my player very easely and now everything is alright... xvid playing without any problem ... very smooth... ff/ww ok ... nice background image .. i don't know what they mean by NTSC DVD problem !! but I have some NTSC dvd's they working great no problem at all ..
    now I am happy with my player

my regards

13. Bolt1973

Bolt1973 Member

Has anybody tried the new age V4 update yet?

Also do you have to down flash to the official V1 flash ware before upgrading to V3 or V4 for example?

Obviously you still have to Reset to default settings both before and after flashing.

Or have I got it wrong?

14. Wam7

Wam7 Member

The NewAge v4 is excellent. I would recommend downflashing to v1 first to avoid any potential problems. Always wait for it to finish first before turning off!!