1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oh The Irony......

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by georgeluv, May 17, 2007.

1. georgeluv

georgeluv Regular member

a week or so ago i commented on a article about the thai government banning youtube because videos that were considered insulting to the monarch were posted to it...

this was the comment, verbatim, and this was the only comment i made:

for this comment i was banned for a week and a half.

the reasoning given was “moronic racism”

so... 10 points to whoever can point out the irony of this ban.

and further, i actually have very extensive knowledge about thailand and its people, my father spent 5 years in thailand in the early 90's designing call centers for a major western communications company. he would come home and recall all the weird stuff about them.

the story about the coin rolling is 100% true, ASK ANYONE FROM THAILAND!

so, when did afterdawn become a place where the slightest insult results in a ban? if you want a healthy flow of free ideas you have to be a little more tough-skinned than to ban someone for calling populous oppressing regimes "crazy".

at first when i learned about my ban i was furious and was going to demand an apology, but now ill just settle for afterdawn admitting they were wrong.

to fix this may i suggest that mods must have two other mods confirm a ban, you know like checks and balances, to prevent overzealous banning.

i think it would be hard to find someone that thought was i said was "moronic racism".

2. Ripper

Ripper Active member

I don't think the ban had anything to do with the thailand comment, and more the..
    ...part of the comment.

It isn't, hasn't ever been, nor will be. However, AfterDawn is a place where racism isn't tollerated, no matter how petty the comment by said individual. Further to this, some moderators use their disgression on topics such as racism which are not stated as indidual rules, and more tied into rules, such as rule 6.

Oh dear, did you throw the toys out of the pram? Diddums. I doubt you'll find any sympathy from any of the mods here, for reasons stated in my previous quote.

Do you realise how many idiots join up and post on these forums per day? If every mod had to ask another's opinion before banning, then it would take forever and make their job tedious. Mods are mods because the site admins and other mods chose those members due to their confidence in each other to make the right decision.

I don't. Infact, I can almost bet on who it was that banned you, but that's not for you to know or for me to say.

Going back to an earlier statement..
    Well, 20 points to whoever can guess how long it's gunna take for you to get banned again if you keep whining and telling moderators to do their job!

Edit: Typo.

Last edited: May 17, 2007
  3. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

jack: i owe you a cookie.

george, this isn't a democracy. the mods and admin run AD however they please. if you don't like it, then leave. end of story.

4. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Zomg! Cookie!

5. georgeluv

georgeluv Regular member

^part of the reason i made this thread. do YOU think whoever banned me made the right decision? is this not the place to voice grievances?

6. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Yes, I do. I beleive that racism, no matter how bigger the "insult", should be punished. And if it's the mod who I think it is that banned you, then he has, and always will have, my full support and co-operation around the site.

Not really. aD has a forum called the "Safety Valve" and if you read the forum description, then I think you'll find that's a more appropriate place to "voice grievances". Having said that, I doubt your grievances would be any better received there than they are here.

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved to correct forum. i know who did it too & it wasn't me.

Last edited: May 17, 2007
  8. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

I know I wouldn't like it if someone started with "Those Crazy Americans" even if we've done something outrageous which we do with some regularity. Last week, George Bush got really frowned upon for winking at Queen Elizabeth ... are the brits crazy even if we got something of a chuckle out of it (as did a lot of Brits, I suspect). One's culture is one's culture ... even if we find some things about them strange. In case you haven't noticed, just about the entire planet hates us these days for things a bit more serious than not stepping on a coin. Every culture has things which another culture finds strange. Things would be so boring if we were all the same.

9. tocool4u2

tocool4u2 Guest

blah blah blah

hey jacko....

Isn't that an insult to the so called "idiots"? Think about it. Your stereotyping them. Even if they do something wrong it makes them an idiot? People make mistakes,deal with it. You think your so perfect. The "I was never an 'idiot'" attitude.Oh and btw nice sucking up to the mods with what they want to hear. I don't think georgeluv should of had a temp ban for that comment. Oh yeah and DVDBack23 can ban people and become a moderator now? Because last time i heard he was a staff writer.

bugmenot.com hahahahahaha

10. ddp

tocool, dvdback situation is being dealt with so we'll leave it at that.

11. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

george, yes, i feel you deserved that ban.

tocool, being stupid online is a choice. being asian isn't; i see a clear line of difference.

12. Ripper

Ripper Active member

No, there is a difference between someone making a mistake and then someone just being plain stupid, or idiotic.

Oh right, so you're speaking for me now are you? Good luck with that. I do not think I am perfect. Also, I have acted like an idiot on more than one occasion; all of which I've appologised for, unless my idiotic behaviour was intentional. You on the other hand are just an idiot outright.

I'm not sucking up. I get on with said mod pretty well and, so from that point of view, am bound to take his side. It's not like I'm parading round, following mods every post and congratulating them for their efforts.

Got nothing to do with me. I didn't ask him to ban you; he did that of his own accord. ddp has already said, but I know that issue is being dealt with cos it's not only you that's angry about it..

Anyway tocool, seeing as you didn't give me a complete half arsed reply, shout at me in some way, or generally be a complete tool in your reply to me, then I see no reason why we have to keep going off at each other.

13. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

even if you meant to comment on the regime, it came out as, "crazy asians", which could easily be perceived as offensive / racist.

if, on the other hand, you'd have said, "those crazy thai regimes", you would most likely have been given a warning to stay away from the topic of politics.

14. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Off you go to Singapore for one of the world's most notorious spankings LOL!

15. ireland

ireland Active member

is this a cartoon thread,if it is it sure is not making me laugh

16. ddp

gerry, don't they use multi tailed whips there?

17. ZeroHour

ZeroHour Guest

i think it is racist and offensive to be honest with you. and i think if u make racist comments u should get banned.

18. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@ddp...no, they use a 3/4 inch thick length of cane which has been left soaking in hot oil to keep it flexible and keep it from breaking against one's bare backside which it will turn to hamburger. There is always a doctor present, not for medical concerns but to stop the procedure until he's revived you when you pass out (which always happens). Its quite brutal. There was a case of a U.S. boy which made big time news about ten years ago but I'd heard about it many years ago in navy directives concerning the matter; they had a big problem with it because they use this manner of punishment for violations which in Canada and the U.S. would be considered rather minor but which another culture considers totally unacceptable ... like public drunkness etc. The U.S. kid got it for spray painting graffiti if memory serves.

A curious cultural difference though: you are paraded naked down a hallway and made to stand naked in front of everyone while the charges are read. To the asian, that is dreaded even more than the beating ... the american couldn't care less about being paraded naked as, at this point, he's got far greater worries.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2007
  19. ireland

ireland Active member

to read more go here
    http://www.wccusd.k12.ca.us/stc/ethical/singapore.htm

20. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Yes, that was him; I'd forgotten his name. It started this huge debate as to whether or not we should institute corporal punishment in the US, may applauding the actions of singapore but I don't think they realized the brutality of it; people have had strokes and heartattacks during these and died. They weren't the ol fashioned paddling in the principal's office.