1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OK friends - i need some PS2 cdr backup help!!

Discussion in 'PS2' started by darthnip, Jan 13, 2003.

1. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

ok, i have no problem at all doing dvd backup's. I have had no trouble at all doing any DVD game to DVD-R. When i do cd based games (PS2) sometimes they partially boot, sometimes they dont. I read and burn them slowly, use good media (various types even) but they dont boot all the way. Take spongebob for example, it boots to the main menu and when i try to go to "new game" it goes back to the Sony screen telling me to insert ps2 game. It's like the cd checks are menu driven or something. i haven't had ANY cd based PS2 games work. The ripped dvd based that are cut donw to cdr size work fine, but i can't seem to get a cd based game to work. Anyone had this, or know how to fix? Any input would be helpfull, or if i could help anyone with dvd based games, just ask. i've only had 1 dvd backup out of 50+ that i've done fail and that was cause my kid yanked my power cord from the wall!!

2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

What method are you using to copy the cd-rom games?? The best way is to simply get clone cd and capture an image to the hd and then burn the disk!

3. darthnip

thats the exact method i used quite a few times, like with the spongebob

4. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Did you try using alternative media??

5. darthnip

sure have, i've used probably 10 different kinds of medoa, from cheapo's to the most expensive i could find locally. and i've tried all 4 of my burners and still no dice!!sometimes they act like they want to boot but dont. other times they boot to the main menu then crap out. it really bugs me cause i can do dvd games without any problems at all. i'm almost ready to not even bother with the cd based games but still, i'd like to be able to do it!

6. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

What burning program are you using? What settings do you have it on? Are you correcting the sub channel data or no? Try using CloneCD 4 and using their "Game CD" Option.

7. darthnip

i've done so many that i can't begin to say all the settings i've tried or how many different burning prog i've used. I usually have no trouble burning or copying anything at all. After combing all the forums and trying all the things i've read, i'm begining to think there is aomething so simple that i'm overlooking it. I use swap magic discs for the swap and when they turn blue it will boot and when it turns pink it wont (with everything else i've copied anyway) tonight i've made some form of progress I guess, now the swap magic borders turn blue like it wants to boot but it just locks up that way. i'm getting closer so i'll keep at it and post how I did it in case anyone else needs this info.

8. Wizkid

Wizkid Active member

I guess this is allready what you have for booting CD-r and DVD-r:
    http://www.modchipkits.com/manual/SwapMagic.htm

I also use CloneCD 4 and managed to copy like 30+ CD based games sofar (and also 30 DVD based games). I use media that's very cheap so it has to work even with not so expensive media.

I most of the time use dark backsided CD-r (black) because the laser reads them better.
    Do you use dark backsided cd-r's ? Look at the original CD based games, they all have a dark purple backside !!! Buy some black backsided CD-r and try again...

9. darthnip

yes i've used black,blue,red,purple, and gold with no luck, last night i finally got silent scope 3 to copy and work fine. it was on a el cheapo cdr. it was the game cd setting on clonecd 4 that finally did it, but i still cant get a working copy of pacman forever. i will though, sooner or later i will. thanks for the help folks! SEE PEOPLE, THIS is why this is the only forum i even bother reading!! the people rule!

10. newbee101

newbee101 Regular member

Can you give me a specific brand for Cdr media and rather it should be silver or blue bottoms?
    Also what speed should I burn at? burned at 8x and freezes to black screen!

Thanks for those who reply

11. Oner

I am a strong believer that it doesn't matter what media you use (except for those SERIOUSLY Ultra cheap discs you find in a bargain bin or something). I have used Princo, Memorex, Unbranded, Sony, Imation, TDK, Neato, Ricoh, Samsung and no name Silver Top (which is really the write area so if they get scratched they are useless but they work if handled correctly!) and that's just the ones I looked at in one case!

All are 80 minute and are from the original PSX from over 6 years ago, to current PS2's done a few days ago.

They all work fine. I used CloneCD on them from day one (I just happened to find yesterday an old CloneCD version 1.0.xx I used that was on a single Floppy!).

If you back them up correctly they should work fine. Unless you have a picky system (which I have never come across personally).

The best advice to you would be to buy a "test/sample" pack that comes with different media so you could see which ones your PS2 likes. Here is a link to a site that sells some http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/acatalog/80min.html unless you need a US site then try here http://www.genesysdtp.com/testsamples.htm

Edit:

About burn speeds, I have always done them as fast as my writer could go. 12x on my old Plextor (when that was the fastest drive years ago) up to 48x on my current Lite-On. All still using CloneCD

Last edited: Feb 21, 2003
  12. jr_

jr_ Guest

Maybe it's your laser setting for the CD. The DVD and CD settings are different. You CD setting may just be a little off. Usually it's the DVD that people have problems with. Suggest you try to clean your laser lens. Usually the DVD is affected more by a dirty lens than CD's but I would go ahead and eliminate that possibility.

13. darthnip

I got to agree with you there Dex - i've used all kinds of cdr madia and never had a problem. There have been a few types of dvd-r media that has not worked right, but that is more or less to be expected i guess.

14. Oner

Same here with the DVD-R media (especially since all of our can only read "-") I use Princo unbranded blank faced discs and they work all the time, on my PS2, PC's, DVD Players and family electronics etc. I have had 1 brand not work, Bulkpaq gen 1's which I ordered from Europe. Which is probably the reason why.

15. AzNCLoUD

AzNCLoUD Member

I have a question.......
    i want to backup my dragonball budokai and its like 1.4 gb.how do i put it on cdr???