1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OK guys what PSP to buy, with modding in mind? New here

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by thor999, Jan 23, 2008.

1. thor999

thor999 Regular member

At least new in this area of the forums. Will be buying a new PSP sometime this week, and don't know anyone with a PSP, so which one to buy (i.t. fat vs. slim) and what additional items will I need to successfully mod this PSP, in order to run homebrew, my PSX games, etc? Please don't flame, I spent some quality time searching on this subject!

2. 07anto07

07anto07 Regular member

hi i would go with the phat easy to customise, and to what items u will need depends on the firmware you will have. for example a phat psp running 3.51 or higher u will need a pandora jigstick. for a 3.50 you will need lumines unpached or pandora jigstick,

3. jemrylie

jemrylie Member

I prefer the fat PSP since it easier to mod.

4. sicdude

sicdude Regular member

The psp slim is just as easy to customize and mod, if anything i would say the slim is easier to customize due to more space in flash 0,
    i would go with the slim psp myself as it is more sleek and stylish

5. gruven98

gruven98 Member

I'm new to this place as well, and I'm here to tell ya that this is a very educated and enthusiastic group. Extremely knowledgeable about the PSP platform as well. I'm getting a new slim PSP this week myself and after reading the guides from larrylje, I'm hoping that I'll be able to pull off modding mine once I get it in. Reason that I chose the slim one was because of battery life, it's supposed to be quicker, and I like the size. Just my .02, but I think that once you get the thing in your hands and have the acquired tools and guides, you'll be good to go.

6. hoip

hoip Regular member

to tell u the truth i dont see the difference in battery life between fat and slim both run around 4-5 hours game time

but slim is more slicker

7. sicdude

sicdude Regular member

i have both, i have 3 fats and 1 slim and i can tell you this my fats haven't been touched since i got my slim, once you hold a slim the fats feel like house bricks lol

8. emofive

emofive Regular member

i have a fat psp and am perfectly happy with it, but u should get a slim cause you can connect it to your tv , but since you have modding in my you should get a fat one cause there are more custom firmwares and hombrews and hacks ect. for it. plus you save money :)

9. sicdude

sicdude Regular member

thats just wrong lol,yeah there are more firmwares but no one wants anything below 3.52m33-4 lol and as far as homebrew goes all new homebrew is made for the 3.xx kernel and a lot of the old homebrew is being ported for the slim

10. Ike14

Ike14 Member

I have a Fat and a Slim...
    Honestly, I prefer the Fat so much more...
    They're both easy to customise and mod...
    It's just the Fat feels like a PSP, the Slim feels like a cheap imitation...(don't anyone get offended...it's just my personal opinion)...
    The Slim is quite a lot lighter though...

11. thor999

thor999 Regular member

Damn, decisions, decisions! Well thx alot for the input, guys! Let me stress that my main goal is to play psx games and, for the most part, emulators (by the way, which consoles are successfully emulated on the psp? Is Mame working properly?)

12. rickem

rickem Regular member

@
    thor999--Better edit your post, they don't like any profanity here. As for choosing you might as well go with the slim. All homebrews will eventually be made to work with it. I have a fat and love it but for sure i'll be picking up a slim. plus with more room in the flash, modding would be seriously awesome.