1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ok i got unbuntu now what?

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by noobz, Jun 11, 2007.

1. noobz

noobz Guest

i just got the cd and how do i install it? please tell me in a good instruction cuz i am a new linux noob and want to learn and another thing please tell me how to get dual boot with windows xp and unbunto please help. thanks for helping to all that will help

2. noobz

noobz Guest

sry for dbl posting but please tell me if i should get this on my pc or not. like i am new please tell me if it is safe. thanks.

3. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

put the cd in the drive and restart the computer. hit f12 and then select boot from cd rom ide device. ubuntu will load. once you get to the desktop. click on the install icon. follow the instructions for city time zone and so on. then when you get to the part about partitioning select manual. then you will want to resize you hard drive. click resize and move the slider from the back end so that you have about 20 gigs. then you need to create a partition. click new and make the size 19 out of the 20 gigs. then select ext3 as the file system. then create another partition and use the rest of the space, select linux swap for the file system. now hit finish and it should write the changes to the drive. now mount points. in the box next to the 19 gig partition select "/" as the mount point. then next to the swap partition select "swap", then next to you windows partition you can write your own. put something like "/windows". that will create a folder in your root filesystem that you can click and see all your windows files. now just click finish. then i think it will ask about grub just click ok . it should go through the installation wich will take a while. after it is done it will ask if you want to use live cd or reboot. select reboot and take the cd out. now you will be at the grub menu. just select ubuntu and it will load.

4. lazyone

lazyone Member

Before you follow the excellant instructions of krj15489,
    Clean up Windoz.
    Remove the trash, delete programs and data you will no longer use.
    Be careful what you delete.
    Run Ccleaner. Defrag.
    Run your anti-this and anti-that programs.
    Objective is to make plenty of clean space for Linux on your HD.
    General Rule: Always cleanup before installing anything.
    If possible install a 2nd HD and run Linux on that.
    Join the Unbuntu forum.
    Great place for help.
    AfterDawn is too limited for Ubuntu questions.
    Good Luck
    I am an Ubuntu user.
    Started with Susa 9.0.
    Changed to Unbuntu (Dapper).
    Now have Edgy on my old Dell and Feisty
    Xbuntu on my laptop. Both are dual boot.

5. Blackjax

Blackjax Regular member

noobz,
    you can also try www.linux.org. They have some excellent tutorials there. I used them and I just started with linux myself. I know I must be crazy but I was actually setting up a server and found myself scratching my head till I did a good bit of reading there!