1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ok let a newbie post

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by mrdave, Dec 31, 2004.

1. mrdave

mrdave Member

Here we go. I have been reading the forums for awhile now and figured I might as well post a thread.( cause Im stuck:p) I have found alot of usefull hints in the past but now I have run into a few problems. It has to do with copying an original dvd. I use dvdshrink and compress all files thus leaving the file size 4299mb. I open nero to back it up and when it analyse`s it the movie ends up too big again. Usually about 1/2-1 gig bigger. Is nero adding some sort of files or something?
    I have also read about taking out extras and stuff from the original but when I opened dvdshrink and see the menus I cannot delete the files I dont want. eg extras. Thats about it for now. Thanks.

2. viper64

viper64 Guest

Mrdave to take out all of the extras and stuff once shrink compresses the movie you must just double click title 1 under the main movie window.

3. mrdave

mrdave Member

So I have to compress it all first then take the stuff out? I thought you had to take it out BEFORE you compressed it.

I noticed too in dvdshrink that when you expand the extras bracket you can uncheck the audio files but does that take out the video as well or will I just have a video with no sound?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2004
  4. mrdave

mrdave Member

Im getting pretty frustrated. Maybe its just nero. I cant figure out why nero makes the project size bigger then what dvdshrink set it to.

5. viper64

viper64 Guest

ok mrdave here is a step by step

1. put dvd movie in
    2. open up shrink
    3. click open disk
    4. select dvd drive letter then click ok let shrink analysis
    5. then click Re-Author (At TOP)
    6. now look under MAIN MOVIE ON THE RIGHT AND DOUBLE CLICK TITLE 1
    7.Next click Back Up (At Top)
    8. next click select target device (ISO DISK IMAGE)
    9. next click ok once movie is done, you can now copy it to a dvd and all the extra stuff will not be there.
    10.You can use Nero, Decrypter or what ever software you want to use

6. mrdave

mrdave Member

k thanks. Ill try it out. Just a thought though but was your post sarcasm? Cause it seemed like it. :p

7. mrdave

mrdave Member

ok. Just to add to this thread. I had a file(anchorman) that was 4.8 gb when i loaded it into Nero. I took that file and burned it to my HD then used dvdshrink to shrink it. All good so far. DVDshrink output it 4299mb.Still good. I loaded the files back into Nero and it made the file size 4.67. What the hell is nero doing to make the files bigger. Thats my biggest concern right now. Is it something in DVDshrink i have to change or something in nero. Obviously I understand that this is a user issue and realize I need help :/ so please if anyone knows what Im doing wrong let me know.

8. Hallywood

Hallywood Regular member

mrdave,
    Just wondering why you are opening Nero to backup your DVD? If your using Shrink, click open disc and select drive. After analysis is complete you can decide what you want to keep depending on the % of compression to the files. After you have made your choices then click backup and let Shrink do the rest.
    Just follow the prompts. Nero will be silently working in the background. Or better yet read Scuba Pete's guide. It doesn't get much easier than that.
    Goodluck,
    HW.

9. mrdave

mrdave Member

Ya maybe said it wrong what i was doing. I had the file in avi format so dvd shrink didnt recognize it so I used nero visionexpress and selected make dvd-video, added files and it did its own thing but instead of putting it on cd I put it on the HD. At that time it was too big for a cd. I used dvd shrin to shrink it and it turned out to be 4299mb which is what i wanted it at. Now to burn it to a disc I used nero and when I added the files to the project it made the file size too big. Have any of you used dvdshrink to burn? Im gonna try it out. Thing I like about nero is the options you have adding images and shit to the disc and preview.

10. mrdave

mrdave Member

ok. I have a temporary solution for my problem incase anyone else runs into the same thing. (nero making the file bigger). I used dvdshrink to shrink AND burn. For some reason it keeps the file size I intended it to be. Like I said if I use nero to burn, it loads the movie and makes the file size bigger thus not being able to burn to CD. Well like I said its a temp solution and if anyone knows whats making nero do that plaease inform meh. Also I know someone will probably say "why not just keep using dvdshrink to burn?" so Ill answer. DVDshrink doesn`t have all the extras of adding images and chapters and shit like that, or if it does I didn`t see it. Holy crap this post is long. One more thing. Have a happy new year everyone, hope your 2005 goes good. Cheers.