1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ok new to burning and posting need help ?????

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by nick9050, Nov 7, 2004.

1. nick9050

nick9050 Member

ok so here is the deal I have several different programs I have aquired for burning and ripping and shrinking etc. etc. that I am still trying to figure out how to use all of them however there are two main questions I need to get answered. #1. when I use a program such as nero to burn a movie that is an avi or mpeg or whatever the only way I have figured out to turn that into a dvd is to use nero's option to create my own movie but once I do it takes anywhere from 6 to 10 hours to burn ( why wont it go faster ? )

and question #2 is there any way to take mpegs or avi's and open them in a program like dvd shrink so that I can shrink them to fit onto a normal 4.7 gb everytime I open one of those types of programs it always asks me to insert a dvd into one of my drives but it wont just let me open a file is there a way to trick it or fix it ????

2. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Shrink works with DVD compliant files only, you will have to convert the files in order to use them with shrink.

Instead, since you have Nero, you can use NVE (NeroVisionExpress) to convert the files, set chapters, create a custom menu, and burn to DVD disc.

If you need it I wrote a simple, easy to follow, NVE guide I can provide :>)

3. nick9050

nick9050 Member

yes any help or directions would be great for some reason whenever I try to create a movie with an avi or mpeg on nero it takes anywhere from 6 to 10 hours to burn so I dont know if converting would shorten the time or If I am doing something wrong thanks for any help

4. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Here is a quickie NeroVision Express (NVE) guide I wrote, hope it helps.

Open NVE

Choose make DVD > DVD Video

click on add files on the right.

From the window browse to your files and add them one at a time, wait in between for NVE to do it's thing and when the file is finished add the next and so on til done.

If you wish to create chapters, click on each file one at a time after they have all been converted, and hit "create chapters" starting with the 1st then hit next and you can set your chapters manually, (which I do it's faster) or you can let NVE do it for you auto. There is a preview window, just slide the slider, note time on right and stop it, hit the set chapter button.

Go back and repeat this step for each file til done.

Note, you can also edit your files in the same manner(one at a time) by hitting "edit movie" then going back and repeating for each file.

Note-this could take another guide in itself for editing, I'm just giving you the basics. Most movie files don't need editing, unless they have commercials, etc.

Now it's time to create a menu. hit next and here you set your layout,backgrounds,buttons, text, font, colors, etc. For NVE 3-To use the nero templates just choose, if you wish to create a custom menu click on "edit menu".

A very neat feature here, you can import backgrounds, video clips, pictures, etc. to incorporate in your menu. There are 3 little cameras for this import feature. Just left click on each for it's specific function.

Each heading on the right in this section is self explanatory, click on each one down the line, follow the cues until done.

Once your window is setup on the left you can right click on your buttons and select properties, go in and type titles, fonts, etc.

Hint- I like to go to movie sites and get video clips, backgrounds, posters, and photos for my custom menu. You will need to play around here til you get the hang of it, the manuel is a great aid.

When finished, hit next and you will see a software remote control. Use this as you would one from your living room chair at home and play with your movie. Go to different chapters, FF, rev., pause, etc. If you wish to change something you can still go back, if all is to your liking then hit next.

Set your parameters for burning, ie.-your burner, your HD, record settings, it's in the box at the top right.

When all is ready hit burn, go away, leave the PC alone, NO MULTITASKING !

When you return play your masterpiece you created!

*note*- this is not intended as a complete step by step guide, but is a blueprint of sorts designed to give you steps to follow. NVE is more compicated than a simple burn guide. Use the NVE manuel which can be found at the Nero Homepage. You can download it, print it, or do as I do which is put all the Nero Ultra 6 manuel links in a folder which I can go to at any time and review.

If you use this guide with the manuel you will be fine, it is one of the simpler programs of this type.

good luck....

5. nick9050

nick9050 Member

Well those are basicly the steps I was using already but I made sure I followed your instructions to a T and my nero is still taking 9 hours to burn a movie any Idea Why?

6. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Have you tried a complete uninstall/reinstall of Nero?(use nero clean tools to remove all remnants before re-installing)

Here are some other things to check that may slow your program down:

problems to check

1) Are your burners firmware up to date?
    2) Are your ide settings set to DMA and not PIO?
    3) Did you install InCD4?
    4) Have you installed an apsi layer?
    5) Have you tried different files with NVE or just these and did it do the same thing?
    6) And, are you doing anything else on your pc while trying to burn? IOW, no multitasking!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2004
  7. nick9050

nick9050 Member

well all that you told me gives me a great place to start thanks verry much for you help

8. bigorange

bigorange Active member

You're welcome, let us know what happens :>)