1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OK til Burn time

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by GVJeeper, Jan 16, 2007.

1. GVJeeper

GVJeeper Member

I am new but thought I was doing well until I went to burn the dvd. I'm using RipIt4Me with DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink and FixVTS. After Shrink was done the file size was fine (it was compressed) for a DVD but when I went to burn it it stopped about 75% into it and said the DVD was full!!! Another funny thing was that when I went to burn (XP) it said the DVD wasn't formatted so I formatted it - but haven't had to to that B4. Anyone know why I ran out of room and why I had to format it?? My big issue is why I ran out of room.

I tried it all again on another computer (XP) and got to the same point when it said it was having trouble copying (burning) the first file...I think it was thinking it wasn't formatted too but didn't say that and I couldn't even find a way to format it on that computer...and it's the computer I want to do my DVD backing up on.

I'm so frustrated after 3 hours I could scream/cry (yes, I'm a woman, lol). Please Help!!! THANKS!!

2. GVJeeper

GVJeeper Member

To burn I'm using the My Computer -> copy part of XP. It's been suggested that I use Nero or another program but I really don't want to pay for them. Is there other free burn software.

Just wish there was someone somewhere who did a simple layman's version of how to do these kinds of things.

3. Altercuno

Altercuno Regular member

Hi, sounds like your doing fine you just haven't got the right discs and burning software. Get some good quality discs - verbatim or any made in Japan (+R is probably best) and download Imgburn to burn the disc free from here:

http://www.imgburn.com/

Don't know why you run out of room but if it wants to format you must be using rewritable discs (RW).

Using RipIt4Me is good - its what I use...

Edit:typo

Last edited: Jan 17, 2007
  4. GVJeeper

GVJeeper Member

THANKS!!

When I downloaded ImgBurn it asked if I wanted to replace DVD Decrypter with ImgBurn. Since RipIt needs DVD Decrypter do I want to do that?

Also I am going to re-shrink it as I'm not sure I compressed everything...may have only compressed the "movie" part. Then I'll try to burn it with ImgBurn.

5. Altercuno

Altercuno Regular member

Ok good. I told DvdDecrypter to burn with Imagburn just to get it up to date. I also use the version of Shrink which burns with Imgburn by default. Don't know if I can post a link, but if you Google you will find it...

6. GVJeeper

GVJeeper Member

ImgBurn seems to be a bit above me. I used the Guide for ImgBurn Build Mode on the ImbBurn site and followed the directions. It said it burned so I put it in my DVD and it said it could run the DVD.

I'm above average when it comes to computers but get soooo frustrated when "guides" are written for people who know alot!! There is ALWAYS something assumed or left out that us lay people need to know.....

what files do I burn: the AUDIO-TS folder, VIDEO-TS folder, the files only inside the VIDEO-TS folder??? I guess I'm suppose to know this my osmosis. Could you please help me out here with ImgBurn...like what files do I burn?

Thanks again!!!

7. Altercuno

Altercuno Regular member

Sure. Your doing fine - just take your time. In build mode you just select the Video-TS folder. The Audio-TS is empty.

I know what you mean about guides... I'll see if I can find a good one for you...

8. Altercuno

Altercuno Regular member

9. GVJeeper

GVJeeper Member

I found it and installed it. I'm shrinking it again but before I started I looked under the Target Device and saw Create "ISO Image file and burn with ImgBurn" so I'm re-shrinking right now using that (per another post in a shrink w/ImgBurn post that I ran across when looking for shrink w/ImgBurn). I see it in the preview window so hope it's working.....will let you know!!

I thought I saw something the first time I tried that mentioned booting up automatically but it asked what file to use. Is that something I should check and if so what file name does it boot off of.

OK...thanks again (it's my b-day today and you might just be giving me the best present yet, lol). Will let you know how the burn goes.

10. Altercuno

Altercuno Regular member

Morning - well it is in my part of the world. Looks like your getting the hang of it. I usually burn the ISO image.

Don't know the answer to that - sorry.

Most burning probs are caused by bad media, so make sure you use the good stuff. Also burner firmware needs to be updated from time to time.

Happy Birthday - mine was 24th last month so we are both Caps.

Regards...

11. JVC

JVC Active member

12. GVJeeper

GVJeeper Member

I printed out the guide from the blog and started all over. When I got the ImgBurn part I did what it said and hit the green arrow to start and got this error message in an "ImgBurn" pop up box:

DeviceIoControl(FSCTL_LOCK_VOLUME) Failed!
    Device: [1:0:0] PLEXTOR DVDR PX-740A 1.01 (E:)(ATA)
    Unable to lock volume for exclusive access.
    Reason: Access is denied.

SWELL!! I can go get some better DVDs today and try again. At least I'm at the burn stage (again!). I know this drive burns as we just burned something a could of days ago (photos to a DVD). I'll take a look at JVCs guide, too.

Any idea what that message means?

Thanks for the bday wishes, Cappy. Gotta get a little done today so may not get back to this til this afternoon. Happye belated!!

13. Altercuno

Altercuno Regular member

Hi, it means you have another program trying to use your drive. Could be the XP burning prog you were using, or another burning prog or even Windows mediaplayer.

You can either click ignore and carry on, reboot, or find the prog thats running and shut it down(best).

Try to avoid any multi-tasking when burning.

Plextor is a very good make - some say the best, but I haven't used one. Your firmware is a little out of date they are now on 1.02 available here:

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?category=4&manufactor=38

but I wouldn't update unless you have more burning probs and need to...also watch the numbering as there is another one very similar to yours...

Thanks for the wishes...

14. GVJeeper

GVJeeper Member

This isn't my usual computer. I found this on the DVD Drive:

"8X DVD+R Double-Layer (DL) and 4X DVD-R Dual Layer (DL) DVD (8.5 GB), as well as 16X DVD±R on recommended single-layer DVD media"

I'm using my DVD-R media...should I be using +R on this computer?

I'll reboot and try again cuz I can't find anything using the drive.

be back soon (story of my life, lol).

15. GVJeeper

GVJeeper Member

Rebooting and it's burning (or so lil ole me thinks, lol).

Will be back.

16. Altercuno

Altercuno Regular member

Hi. I think:
    is just telling you what it will burn to and the max burn speeds.

Its best to burn to half the max burn speed. For example if your disc is 16x set the burn speed at 8x. Not much between -R & +R anymore in my opinion. You can set Ingburn to booktype +R to DVD Rom which means more players will recognize it, but your burner supports -R so no probs there. More important is who made the disc.

Rebooting may unlock the drive. I had this message once, but just carried on with no probs...

Oh yes - its worth checking the verify box...

Edit: afterthought

Last edited: Jan 18, 2007
  17. GVJeeper

GVJeeper Member

Aargh!!! Just got home and found a popup box saying the burn was complete and the drive door open so put it in the DVD and nuttin!!! Looked at in Windows Explorer and when I click on it it says:

"DLA cannot use this blank media until it has been formatted. Would you like to format this media now?"

Tried it in my TV DVD and says "This disc cannot be played - Please check the disc"

Geez, I've decrypted and shrunk so much my finger tips are wrinkled and still no burn. I have the ImgBurn log and it says Operation Successfully Completed! Am using DVD-R disks. I've been backing up my DVD with DVDXCopy so I know these blank DVDs and my drive are fine. Am wanting this way to work as more and more aren't backing up using DVDXCopy.

Any more suggestions on my I can't get a burn?

18. JVC

JVC Active member

You've not mentioned which software you're using to bypass the copy protection. Most of these older programs won't work, without help. You need to use DVDFab Decrypter, or AnyDVD, in conjunction, with your other software.

DVDFab Decrypter will rip and decrypt the software to the hard drive. Then run it through DVD Shrink, and then burn.

AnyDVD just sits open, in the background, while the other software does it's thing.

You can get to the software, from the link, in my post above. DVD Fab Decrypter is free. AnyDVD has a 21 day free trial period. CloneDVD2 does too. It's on the same page as AnyDVD. AnyDVD and CloneDVD are an excellent combo, for getting movies done.

19. GVJeeper

GVJeeper Member

I AM using Shrink (after RipIt4Me and DVD Decypter). I have no problem getting thru Shrink. It's when it goes to burn that I have problems...says it's burned ok but when I got to boot the movie it says the DVD isn't formatted and do I want to - or - in my TV DVD is says the disc can't be read. I'm using ImgBurn to burn. Soooooooo problem isn't with the software you mentioned...it's that I can't get a burn even tho it says I am (on two different computers!!).

20. Altercuno

Altercuno Regular member

Very puzzling. I don't know anything about DvdXCopy but it may be locking up your drive and/or causing these burn issues. Can it be uninstalled?

Senior Member JVC offers good advice in my view and it may be worth considering at some point - a lot of members use this method.

Haven't used the -R format much but it sounds like the discs haven't been finalized so they wont play on TV players. I would have thought Imgburn does this automatically but perhaps a box needs checking. Also what make is it and how old - some old players wont play some formats.

As two different computers are throwing up the same problem I would think you have something installed causing conflict - DvdXCopy?