1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OK to record SVHS to DV, then Firewire to PC?

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by FLAWLE$$, Jan 11, 2005.

1. FLAWLE$$

FLAWLE$$ Member

I'd like to convert some of my SVHS home movies to DVD. Couldn't I just use my DV camera to record from SVHS onto DV, then firewire it into my PC, and burn to DVD? My search only produced results regarding using capture cards etc. Will this method work well? How about for plain VHS as well?

JVC GRDX77
    Sony Vaio with plenty of HDD space.
    WinDVD Creator

2. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Hi Flawless,
    Yep, you can do that. It's even better: if your camera allows it you don't even have to record your VHS footage to DV tape in the first place. Connect your VHS to the analog input of your DV camcorder, connect the camcorder to the Firewire on your PC and start transferring the VHS footage directly to the PC in DV format.
    Here's an article about it:
    http://www.digitalvideoclub.com/basics/transfer.php

3. FLAWLE$$

FLAWLE$$ Member

Yes! I tried what you said, and my camera does in fact permit that type of pass-through. I just need to get a longer firewire cable and I'll use this method from now on. Thanks for the reply!

4. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

You're welcome. Glad I could help.
    I started capturing my analog stuff a long time ago with an analog capture card, but the quality captured with this pass through method is far superior (at least with my DV camcorder).