1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old box worth the mod?

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by free-coh, Feb 25, 2007.

1. free-coh

free-coh Member

Have a v14 box I bought used, installed flip-top with swap magic and the unit has a hard time booting to the disc, put a flip on my buddie's unit at the same time and his has no problem booting to it.I want to go the mod-chip route so I don't have to fool with the disc exchange.Should I send this box in for the mod or just go buy a new unit for this purpose? I suspect the laser may be failing although it seems to have no problem with original or back-up disc's (when it boots to the swap magic disc on rare occasion...)

2. steimy

steimy Active member

well, i think it would surely be worth it. IT would cost you more for a new premodded unit then just getting a chip installed in that one, even if it did need a new laser as well.

3. raiderj

raiderj Regular member

NorCal Mods and Team Modders both do reasonably priced installs. Chances are your laser is fine, and Swap Magic is just finicky.