1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old Home Theatre system enquiry

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by haxxej, Oct 25, 2011.

1. haxxej

haxxej Member

Hi Guys,

I have a query which I'm sure some knowledgeable people on here can answer. I have an old home theatre set up, the panasonic Sa-Mt1 to be precise ()

Since it lacks any modern connection I'm unable to connect it with other peripherals to get 5.1 surround sound. The speakers all connect into the active subwoofer and then from it I have a cable that goes to the dvd with RCAs (I think that's what they are called) for left and right audio.

My question is, can I just buy a new amplifier and connect the sub and speakers to it to be able and get surround sound? Or do I have to go all the way and buy a whole set up (that is, amp + speakers).

Many Thanks in advance.

2. cactikid

cactikid Active member

i think its time for a new setup,usually the new stuff has spdif and/or digital in/out as the amp or receiver would need an in port say to sat hd box .those old systems are usually low powered,the newer ones if you can afford them can really knock your socks off.i am about to move my old system another panasonic 5.1 into another room and connect it up there.many of the newer amps may not be compatible with your old speakers watt or ohms and the speaker cable may be too light to use with new setup.