1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

old hp motherboard

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Sefiroth, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Sefiroth

Sefiroth Guest

i got an old pc im tryin to fix for a mate. its well and truly messed up. I think he has deleted the windows folder. I got into the setup, then after dissabeling the user password, the admin password kicked in. I've heard that there is a swich or something to reload the bios, but ive got no idea where to start. any help finding this switch or using another method will result in being granted eternal godliness.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2004
  2. matty8887

matty8887 Regular member

On the motherboard you should see a round silver thing. This is the battery, looks like a watch battery but bigger. Pull it out for 1 minute then pop it back in and it should have erased the passwords.

3. Sefiroth

Sefiroth Guest

That was the 1st thing i did. it didn't work, the user password was still there after 15 min without battry. now its been out over night. but i havnt had a chance to look at it yet.

I was told there was a switch or a button on the mother board that would reload the bios etc. with out the passwords.

4. CJC

CJC Regular member

There should be three pins on the motherboard that has 'Clear CMOS' near them. What you will have to do, is take the jumper of the two pins its on, and move it over to the other.

eg
    ___
    |P P| P
    |---|

Change to
    ___
    P |P P|
    ..|---|

Leave it for 30 seconds, change it back, and it should be reset.

CJC

5. Sefiroth

Sefiroth Guest

Thanks, ill try it, repost 2morrow (after i see if it works)