1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old PS2 and DVD-R back-up problems

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Dabbler77, Jan 2, 2004.

1. Dabbler77

Dabbler77 Member

Yeah, I posted a while back about my V2 PS2 with the Magic V modchip. I took it back to the people who installed it for me and they said that they'll take a look at it (I'm still waiting, it's been 5 days now).

Anyway, the problem is that, even though cd-r games booted, DVD-R games did not. The technician told me that it was because my PS2's laser is getting old and thus it can't read the infomation on the DVD-Rs.

I'm a bit skeptical because I've tried loading up some DVD-R movies on my PS2 and it booted up almost immediately. Even my original Xenosaga DVD booted up almost instantly. So I don't think my laser is THAT weak yet.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. RazorMan

RazorMan Guest

Hi,

I guess you've done a mistake by putting a Magic V in a V2 Ps2, Magic V is only compatible with PS2 V5 -> as far as i know!

I guess thats why you are having problems....

3. Dany22

Dany22 Member

Razorman is right..Magic V is only compatible with version 5 and above..i just check modchip.com website..and it was there.

Peace,

Dany22

4. Dabbler77

Dabbler77 Member

Yup, I checked the website too. But my CD-R backups (both PSone and PS2) worked so I'm wondering if there's something wrong with either the laser or the DVD medium.

The problem with the DVD is that the Media Type came out as DVD+RW (which is a format that my PS2 does not support) whereas the Book Type came out as DVD-R. Maybe that's the problem?

5. stunn611

stunn611 Regular member

[bold]hmmmm... a magic v on a v2? are you sure its not magic 3.1? did saw the chip your self?

6. Dabbler77

Dabbler77 Member

Nope, didn't see the modchip. But I assume it's Magic V because it kept screwing up (ie. Won't boot DVD-Rs, games always freezes after a while and then the disc won't eject).

Hopefully the tech guys will change it. But my major concern right now is about my DVD ID. What's "Book Type" and "Media Type"?

7. Dany22

Dany22 Member

V1-V4 PS2's has very weak laser that can be killed very quickly specially if u DVDs games (originals and backups) bcuz dvds need more time and more "power" to be read by the ps2..and bcuse older ps2..has cheap lasers..this can kill it quickly.. i have 2 suggestion for you..before its gonna happen..i suggest that u change the laser itself to a better one (cost 80$)..i heard that u can put a V5 and + laser in older models..or simply buy a V7 ps2..in my opnion its the best version now..and now ps2 cost around 200$.

Peace,

Dany22

8. stunn611

stunn611 Regular member

[bold] i assume that u have a magic 3.1 not magic v. magic v are not compatible with v2 ps2. i'm also havin one of your problem, the tray wont eject and theres is no blue light. the last time this happen the guy say it was because the "B.A" or some kind of chip was burned.