1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old PS2 DVD question

Discussion in 'PS2' started by rob&keri, Mar 13, 2004.

1. rob&keri

rob&keri Regular member

I have an older PS2 (about 3 years old) and it wont play my backed up DVD, I used dvd shrink (was converted from x copy. I have tried it on a mates PS2 3months and his dvd player and it works fine. Does my ps2 need updating? can I update the memory somehow or does it need chipping to play them. I am using DVD-r.

many thanks

Rob

2. BNelson

BNelson Member

You usually need some sort of boot method such as Swap Magic Disks or Modchip, that could explain why you are unable to play your backed up game :)
    Just burning the DVD-R and wacking it in is not suffice, your mate probably had his machine modified

3. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Well, if it is a movie DVD, then your PS2 does not need modifying in order to play the movie.....

If it is on dvd+r, then depending on your version, it may not work either...........pre version 4 I think...

However, it may just be down to the media brand used, or even how it was burned, that could be why it does not play..........................the newer versions of PS2 are more reliable in accepting several brands of media.....etc

4. rob&keri

rob&keri Regular member

The guys at PCWorld (I know) said maybe contacting Sony and see if they can or would upgrade the OS if that is the problem

Any ideas if this is a possibility?

Rob

5. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

no that wont help. its down to the laser in your ps2. What brand media are you using?