1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old Style Front Load PS2

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by macfly99, Feb 9, 2005.

1. macfly99

macfly99 Member

I'm looking for suggestions on a mod chip or boot disc for an old style PS2 with the front load. I"m new here and have read about the flip tops and such for the new PS2's but haven't found anything for the old PS2. What I am looking for is the ability to play backup copies on my console without any major modifications to the eject port or having to swap discs during play time. Is there a mod chip that is relatively easy to install that I can get and where can I get one?? Thanks for your time in advance.

2. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

there is a no solder dms chip (costs about $70).

3. macfly99

macfly99 Member

Thanks for the info Sly. Where can I look into getting one of these no solder chips for my console?? I'd be very interested in getting one of these.

4. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

5. macfly99

macfly99 Member

Thanks again for the info Sly. Now, there is the dms4 lite, dms4 pro, dms4 ezi lite and dms4 ezi pro. I am using DVD decryptor for backing up and have a sony dual layer 8x max dvd burner. I gather that I should burn in the slowest speed but just curious as to if there is a particular disc I should use and which one of these chips would give me the playing capabilities that I am looking for with the least amount of maintenance Cash is not the object here, I just want to get the right one the first time. I've got Sony and Maxell DVD-R discs with 4.3GB storage on them.
    Sorry for all the stupid questions but you are helping me greatly here.
    Thanks in advance.

6. macfly99

macfly99 Member

One more quick one too. Is there any advantage to getting a hard disc drive for my PS2?? I see a few of those there and wasn't sure if that would be a benefit to me or not.
    Thanks

7. macfly99

macfly99 Member

I guess this one must be closed now. Is it???

8. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

the dms4 ezi is the only solderless one. The other ones require soldering many wires.

9. macfly99

macfly99 Member

Thanks again Sly.
    Now, I know there is a difference between the light version and the pro version but in which way is it going to effect me if I go with the light version. I don't do any on liny gaming as of yet as it is not available where I live. Although, if it becomes avail I probably will be using it.
    Thanks again.

10. gorec9897

gorec9897 Regular member

The dms4 lite has only 128k flash memory (toxic bios) the dms4 pro has 2mb (toxic os). If you want simplicity & standard internal modchip features go with the ezi dms chips (no soldering + all the features of a soldered chip).

http://www.dms3.com/cgi-bin/dms4ezi/site.pl?page=distributors

http://www.dms3.com/dms4ezi/downloads/Installation_Manual/DMS4_EZI_Installation_v1.4.pdf

Use -R media since they seem to be easier on the ps2 laser. Record the discs at no more then 2x.

[bold]Good Media:[/bold]

Mitsui
    Verbatim
    Ritek
    Imation

[bold]ps:[/bold] the ezi dms4 chip doesnt support the classic ps2's v1-v3!

Also the HDD can benefit you in alot of ways you can install games on it & boot games without the disc; you can install emulator's and rom's on the HDD. Even linux ;-)

http://blackrhino.xrhino.com/main.php?page=home

http://www.zophar.net/consoles/ps2.html

Last edited: Feb 12, 2005