1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old tape to DVD+RW = Pauses

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by OZ132HOME, Jan 31, 2005.

1. OZ132HOME

OZ132HOME Member

Brand new LITEON 5007 from Sears. Burns DVD+R from good tapes fine. Old VHS tape with glitches makes it pause. Any way around this? Do they all do it equally? The main purpose of buying the machine is to archive old irresplaceable VHS tapes. Did I wait too late? I don't mind the glitches, but instead of recording them, it loses synch and pauses recording, which neatly cuts out the little snippets of bad tape...more annoying than if it left them in, so you could at least follow the audio...

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

As they say in computer training, "Garbage in, garbage out."

The PC doesn't know what to do with the garbage so it just deletes it hence, missing sections . . .

It appears you waited too late.

As for "archiving ?"

I hope you've done your homework and are using top qualiy media as poor quality i.e. Memorex, has a tendency to lose it's memory in anywhere from a few months to a year or two . . . not a good thing . . .

Cheers,

Pete

3. OZ132HOME

OZ132HOME Member

Yeah, Right. Once again, the chip proves itself to be considerably "dumber" than the human. Just because the picture tears or flashes, the sound is still there, and the "garbage" is viewable.
    Oh well, at this point there's not much to do except get whatever I can salvage out of the older tapes, and get busy archiving the newer ones...
    Could professional equipment TBC, etc, salvage more of the old stuff?

4. OZ132HOME

OZ132HOME Member

Also, is Sony good stuff? Is DVD+R likely to last longer than DVD+RW?

5. OZ132HOME

OZ132HOME Member

Also, is there a hack to disable the automatic pause and let the recording roll, regardless of input quality?

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

You may save more by having professionals do it - really it's an unknown ~

Yes sony is a good disc AND a single-write is probably better. You would be wise to store the discs in a plastic jewel case and label the case, not the disc ALSO, store out of sunlight in a controlled tempature.

Cheers,

Pete

7. OZ132HOME

OZ132HOME Member

All good info. Original problem pretty much solved--it was only the one tape. Other 25-year-old VHS tapes copied without a hitch. This machine works really well--better than I expected for the price. I use only HQ and SP, and the quality is excellent to good. Usually the disc looks BETTER than the tape it's made from (some kind of noise reduction in this machine, I suspect?) VERY easy to use without much reading.
    I have no use for the TV Guide or the internal tuner, so I have not trried them.
    For archiving old tapes, this seems to be just the ticket.
    Shame on me, I tried a few Commercial DVD movies. 2 out of 3 copied perfectly without a hitch. One came up with a "Protected Disc" flag and would not copy at all.
    Don't try this at home or you could end up in Cuba--on the U.S. side...