1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old VHS to DVD

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by dtech, Nov 4, 2004.

1. dtech

dtech Member

Hi everyone,
    I'm trying to record my old VHS video collection to DVD but there seems to be a problem with watching it on my PC. When I watch my videos on the TV they show fine but when it's displayed on my PC, it's distorted and blurs in and out - especially when there's alot of white in the background. I even tried recording my original videos on another new VHS tape before displaying on my PC but it shows the same way. I'm using a sony hi-fi stereo VCR and an ATI All In Wonder 9800 Pro video card. The VCR is set up through the composite line (red, white and yellow) not directly to the tv but to a composite adapter that's hooked up to the tv...could that be the problem? I don't want my precious VHS videos to become destroyed by old age. Please anybody help if you have any idea what might be the problem. Thanks

2. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

Yeah, buy a $150 DVD recorder that'll do a better and faster job of tranferring than even your ATI vid card. Gateway has one, Magnox, Lite-On, etc.

3. JL3COMP

JL3COMP Member

I'm in the same boat......I bought the Lite-on DVD Recorder and I must say it is a BREEZE to use to record from my 8mm camcorder (after I had to order a 4 pin to 4 pin cable....NO ONE stocks them even though many of the new recorders use that connection....DOH!)

NOW the question becomes............NOW WHAT???

I have my collection mastered to DVD. What is the Best Video editting program out there (or VERY GOOD reasonably priced one)? I had heard of a couple highly recommended by Maximum PC but that was nearly a year ago. I believe they were Ulead and Pinnacle. They also did well here http://video-editing-software-review.toptenreviews.com/?ttreng=1

But I always highly regard the opinions of regular old users like yourselves. Please swamp this thread with your opinions!

Thanks,

Larry

PS Doesn't this seem like a topic that screams for a PERMANENT REFERENCE THREAD (or Sticky)???? Maybe there is one and I'm missing it? Thanks