1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old video problem, media used or machine?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by janlafata, Jul 8, 2012.

1. janlafata

janlafata Regular member

I've got an old AVI that was sitting on my hard drive for awhile and I decided to throw it permanently on a DVD. Similar projects have all worked out fine so I was surprised when I was playing it back how I noticed those occasional moments in a video when things will occasionally stop freeze a few seconds then the video will continue.

I checked the source material on my hard drive and it looks fine, so I guess it has to be in the recording, but I always use Verbatum blanks and good burning software (TMPGEnc Authoring Works) and I play everything back on a pretty solid performing Yamaha Home Audio non blu-ray DVD Player.

Also all of my other disks that I've ever put in this machine, both rentals and one or two more of these old things I have and never have I seen a freezing problem before. So could it be just basically problems that come up and are associated with old video being thrown on a modern day disk, could it possibly be the machine? ( I know there's no "perfect" one out there, or how about the fact that I'm running the HDMI cable though set at the lowest resolution (420)?

I have a feeling too that it just be the glitch factor. In other words if I burned it again on a new disc, it probably would not show up during playback.

2. Mrguss

Mrguss Regular member

You AVI is to big to fit perfect onto a DVD-5 (4.7GB)... but in reality it only accept 4.4GB of data to be playback without a freeze-stop-freeze error; since you are burning all the way to the outside-edge of the blank-disc.

Solution: Compress the Video to Custom Ratio from 4,300 to 4,400MB's

Hope this help.