1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OLDER DVD PLAYERS

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by pa104inf, May 10, 2004.

1. pa104inf

pa104inf Regular member

I have a friend of mine who has a first generation DVD player and refuses to buy a new DVD since he spent $400.00 on it. Needless to say even the DVD-R format doesn't work on his machine. Is there a way to make a DVD+/-R format compatible with his machine. He has asked me to make a backup of a DVD of a conference that his relative attended. I own CLONEDVD and NERO ULTRA. I understand that normally the various other formats won't work with certain kinds of machines but I wonder if there is any way to fool an older machine into taking the DVD.

2. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

With the right drive it may be possible to make a +R disc play in it using bitsetting. The main issue with older players and recordable media is that they look at information at the beginning of the disc that says what "book type" it is. If it doesn't recognize the book type it will refuse to play because it doesn't have any idea what to do with it. With -R media the book type is added by the manufacturer and can't be changed. With +R media it's actually written when the media is burned so it's possible to change it to fool the player into thinking it's a regular DVD instead of a recordable. According to proponents of bitsetting it's supposed to make a +R disc 100% compatible with standalones, but since I can't verify this myself even if I wanted to (bitsetting utilities don't work with my Sony burner) I can't verify that claim.

Check out this link for more information:
    http://www.dvdplusrw.org/Article.asp?mid=-1&sid=-2&aid=44&hl=bitset