1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oldman here needs some help VCR to DVD

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by Olds, Oct 9, 2004.

1. Olds

Olds Guest

I have gone through the guides and I have not found an answer.

My wife and I have few hundred VCR tapes we have purchased over the years. I would like to convert them to DVD if possible without reworking my computer. This may sound stupid, but what is wrong with taking a good VCR player and hooking directly to a DVD recorder? If this is not a good idea, we would welcome any solution you have to offer. Some of these tapes are 20 years old or about. Some purchase last year.

Thank you for your time in this matter,
    Olds

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

*thread moved to appropriate forum*

3. Gnomex

Gnomex Regular member

Removed.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Disclaimer: Any errors in spelling, tact, or fact are transmission errors.[/small]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2004
  4. nintari

nintari Member

Well, you CAN plug up your VCR straight into a DVD recorder, but it would have to be a stand alone unit. You know, the kind that sits by your TV? If you're going to be using your PC you're going to have to purchase either an internal or external capture card. If you're use to installing memory,HD's and things of this nature, go ahead and spring for the internal one. If you're gun shy, go for external.

So once you get a capture care, all you have to do is plug your VCR in via the composite cables,open the software program that came with the card,hit "capture" and it will all be on your HD. After that, the program will authorize the file into MPEG2 for you and bam...you're all done.

Note:...you'll also probably need something to strip macrovision out of your tapes. It's usually just a little blakc box that goes in between your VCR and PC. Without that, you're unlikely to be able to get most of those old movies onto DVD. Pain in the A$$....I know.

5. Olds

Olds Guest

Thank you for your reply. I think I will try the direct VCR unit to a DVD recorder. With a couple hundred tapes I don't care to go the computer route. If there is a problem caused by a coding then I will find a box to strip out macrovision's stuff.
    Again thank you for your reply.
    Olds

6. nintari

nintari Member

If you don't know about "macrovision" and why it prevents copying old VHS tapes...you should read up on it first so you'll know what to do and purchase.

Just a tip:)