1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Omg, I have a PS2 V2 with GAP ! help plz

Discussion in 'PS2' started by kilm, Feb 20, 2003.

1. kilm

kilm Member

my serial # starts with U0 and date code is
    0D therefore i have a ps2.
    I opened the ps2 ready to instal the magic 3.1 and its clip, when i see no pic on the net corresponds to my board.

check this pic
    http://www.gamegizmo.com/images/installation/magic3/magic_iii_v1a.jpg
    well my board looks the same, except that MY BIOS CHIP IS LOCATED IN THE NEXT EMPTY SPOT ON THE RIGHT ! ( where u see the R ), does this make my ps2 v2 with gap ??

im freaking out now , i just shelled out almost 200bux cdn at http://modchip.ca and cant get started ! ( magic 3.1 + clip + iron + lenline )

I got ripped on everything by the way, i found the iron at radioshack at half price, and this leline pen supposed to clean rust or so ( just bought it cuz im a soldering n00b), is a rip off at 20bux cdn + tax, not saying bout the modchip found much cheapper elsewhere...

my only aim now is to clear out this confusing or mistake maybe ?

Please JR_ our beloved electric engineer :p
    please post a nice tutorial on soldering with pics/video once and for all as a reference, ur previous posts dont contain much detail, and dont show how u actually handdle the stuff.

Thanks much all

note: modchip.ca shipped my stuff in a regular envelop just a little bigger, when i got it, it was wide open and wrapped with
    plastic bag on written on it " found damaged...", the clip is missing...what a lucky guy i can be and how stupid to send so fragile stuff in an envelop, not even air bubbled !!
    I appreciate their service thought =)

2. JVegas

JVegas Regular member

That's insane! Sorry to giggle a little but thats the worst story I've heard in a while!
    I opened a version 2 and refused to mod it. It's just too damn old and overly complicated for the time.
    Also, playing CDR/DVD shortens the life of the PS2 drive. A PS2 drive goes out normally within 2 years so do the math. Your better off getting a 7 and starting fresh.
    That's what I would do.

3. kilm

kilm Member

heh u making fun of v2 :(
    j/k :p
    anyway i dont think its much of a pb, i just need to know why my version 2 got a gap, as i never heard of such a thing, only the v4 is eventually supposed to have one. so am i mistaking something or is it some weirdo ps2 i got here ?

OMG i just found the pics of a V2 with GAP,
    http://www.the-console-corner.com/v2gap_installation.htm
    look at pic B !!!
    how the hell am i suppposed to instal my magic 3.1 on it ? plz help me here im disperate :(

Last edited: Feb 20, 2003
  4. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

JVegas

"Also, playing CDR/DVD shortens the life of the PS2 drive. A PS2 drive goes out normally within 2 years so do the math"

I have to disagree a little there. There MIGHT be some shortening but I doubt it (at least in my experiences) I have an original v1 bought the day it came out, 4 of my cousins also have v1's (same day, we went crazy!).

3 of the 5 have Neo 2.2's (which means much more loading/reading becuase of swaps) and none of them have ANY sort of problem. I think it has everything to do with how people handle and take care of their stuff (Discs & PS2).

To be honest everyone that I know that has a mod have had no problems with their drives or anything. I don't think this can be coincedence.

Now if you talk about the "middle" time frame PS2's then I have heard lots of horror stories.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2003
  5. kilm

kilm Member

plz someone tell me that diagrams of magic 3.1 exists for ps2 v2 w/ gap :(