1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

omg wtf is this?!??!?!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by mowner, Oct 13, 2004.

1. mowner

mowner Guest

today my pc froze up and i couldint enter windows so i decided to to install a fresh copy of xp but i hvae a 120 gbmaxtor SATA soi already have the drivers and all i press F6 and load drivers but when i press ENTER to install Xp it says at bottom Examining 120000 mb Disk 0 at id 0 at bus 0 on viasraid... after that it just hangs it doesint do anythingjust tthe examining thingy i i waited like 30 min a i heard my hd clicking sounds so i waited antoher 30 min it just hanged all the time on examining thingy please help!! i need help! thx all

2. matty8887

matty8887 Regular member

Format your hdd and install windows again and put all your drivers back on.

3. boggie917

boggie917 Guest

Like matt said format reinstall xp & drivers or new hard drive & reinstall xp use old hd as slave mabe save your data mabe not!!
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Gigabyte GA-7N400 PRO2.AMD 3200+ Barton Clocked @ 2437.46 MHz temp 48c.Vcore 1.75 202x12.Volcano11 Corsair Platinum XMS 2x512,2x256.Nvidia geforce 5600 ultra.2x120 gig sata's.Carver M-1.0t amp's 1000Watt's RMS pushing BOSE901,Sunfire MK2 2700Watt Sub.[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2004
  4. mowner

mowner Guest

lol u guys dont understand i cant format my hdd id really like to bbut i cant is there any way witout using the xp cd?? bcuz when i use the xp cd it does examining disk 0 at id 0 on bus 0 and it doesint do anything after.... thx anyway... u told me to format my hdd how can i do that???

5. matty8887

matty8887 Regular member

Oh i understand now, Well i had this problem with one of my 40gig hdd's and i found out that it was shot.

Make sure the jumpers are set right thats all i can say.

6. mowner

mowner Guest

what`are "jumpers" and how exacly did i &$%@ up my HDD?? lol i think bcuz i reformated it like 4 times is that reaseon??? does reformatting the hdd %^&! it up?? thx

7. matty8887

matty8887 Regular member

Reformatting shouldnt f**k up your hard drive, i dont know how mine got screwed but it could be just a power surge that does it.

The jumpers are little blacj things on the back of the hard drive.

If you look at the back you will see 4/5 sets of pins, and a black thing covering 1 set of them, look on your hdd and ses what it says to which pins to put it on.

Set on master if 1 hdd and slave if you have another hdd on master.

8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

1. does your motherboard see the drive
    2. boot up on a win98 bootdisk & see if it finds the drive(it won't read the data on drive if it is in nt format).
    if you still can't access drive, somehow get on net to maxtor to download diagnostic program & see what it says & hopefully still under warranty

9. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey!
    Try this...........

'Loading Windows XP on a SATA drive
    Just in case anyone else has this problem and doesn't want to spend an hour figuring it out...

If you are loading Windows XP onto a computer with a serial ATA (SATA) hard drive, you will have to manually load the SATA drivers.

As suggested on this usenet post, you need to put the drivers on a floppy disk.

Copy the drivers from motherboard support CD *\DriverDisk\SATA\*.* into root directory of floppy disk. (i.e. root directory of floppy disk should contain \pide and \sata folders, txtsetup.oem, etc. files.)

Then, boot system by Windows XP installation CD, when the message "Press F6 if you need to install a third party SCSI or RAID driver" shows up, press "F6". Then, press "S" to specify additional device when next screen pops up. Put the driver floppy disk you made in and press enter to continue. If the floppy disk is made successfully, the installation program will ask for selecting driver. Please then select "VIA Serial ATA RAID Controller(Windows XP)".) After SATA driver loaded and Windows XP can recognize the SATA HDD, you can continue to install Windows XP as usual.'

Good Luck!

10. mowner

mowner Guest

the mobo is k8v asus when i go to bios i see Primary IDE master : Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-107 ( this is my dvd writer) .. on secondary it says :"UNDETECTED" just for the primary IDE it says pioneer but for the rest it says : "undetected" ima tell u guys that i installed a fresh copy of XP many times and it worked well but now i dont know whats the problem i have the correct drivers for the SATA just when i press enter to install the xp it doesint go to the setup at the bottom it says Examining disk 117247 mb 0 at ID 0 on BUS 0 on viasraid...
    maybe the hdd is shot but i dont think soo bcuz why would it be shot?
    cheers

11. mowner

mowner Guest

ianski7 i know that.. lol
    i have the sata drivers and know how to do what u told and did many times but the last time i tried to reinstall xp it doesint get to the Create partition menu.. When im in the Menu where it asks To install xp... or to repair xp.. i choose to install xp but after that (still in the xp setup) it shows at the bottom "Examining 117247 Disk 0 AT ID 0 ON BUS 0 on viasraid..." and from there it just hangs. i waited 2 hours and i stil get the examining thingy ... thx for the post anyways :)

12. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey!
    Try resetting the Bios to the default settings and see if all your hardware shows up. I don't imagine you will see the sata without the drivers installed.

Go here and get Maxtor's diagnostic program, make a bootable disk and see what's going on!

http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads8.html

Scroll down.
    You need Maxtor Powermax. This will run tests like proper insallation and such. Will tell you if the drive is now a paperweight.

Give feedback please.........

13. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

People, the problem mowner is having is that he CANT get to the part where he can format the drive to install the OS.... there's no "jumper" settings because SATA doesnt have that concept :)

Mowner, what mobo do you have? Could it be that the floppy drive cable is upside down? :)

14. mowner

mowner Guest

sup all, okay ill get that powermax thing to test the HDD and im gonna tell you the results..
    Praetor my mobo is asus k8v.
    cheers

15. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey mowner, any news?

16. mowner

mowner Guest

okk soo lol.. i got my computer to a technician he repaired it for me i asked him what was the problem he told that he checked the phisical of the hDD and he told me was ok.. so i asek him what was the problem he told that i had to wait A LOT of time to the examining thing to complete he told me that the pc had partitions problems then he told that he "cheated" to get the HDD to work he told he got the HDD to another PC and he formatted it from that PC...
    THanks for all ur helps