1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Omitted PS2 Information You Should Know

Discussion in 'PS2' started by pragora, Aug 22, 2004.

1. pragora

pragora Member

First off, this is my first post, and I know the few people out there that monitor these boards really think they know right from wrong telling you about what to do and not to do with burning DVD games for the PS2. Let me clear up some VERY false information. Just so you know, I am in plenty of forums around the net and have over 10,000 post/replies/topic starters within the past few years.

First and most importantly, DVD R Media is very wrong when it comes to types. Anyone want to take me up and prove me wrong go right ahead. I have both an Imported Japanese Modded PS2 and a US Modded PS2. I have tested many mods locally and Internationaly. The media is not the issue like so much is said here. You can even download programs that can detect the make of your media. I for one have lots of VERY cheap media that has played on both PS2's perfectly for 2+ years. I have media from China, The Philippines, and Tawain, and no problems using cheap detected media. So going out and purchasing TOP of the Line DVD R's is a waste. Now dont go buying cheap cheap media, you can burn on it but you will get more coasters then average. You can by general media and it works fine. I have had no problem with this and either has users of the many forums I am on have had problems with this.

Want to prove me wrong? Simple, go online look for burned PS2 games from Asia, order it and make sure it has been tested before you get it. Try it on your modded PS2, it will work and I guarntee you its not burned on a high priced DVD. Actually you probably have never heard of the DVD disc its burned on before. Yet if you do a search on the manufacture of the media, you will find that it is dirt cheap DVD R's that work fine! Wait.... has not almost everyone on here said that your problems are the media being cheap? Proof and point proven!

Now I know there are the few of you out there saying "He just has a good mod or a very new PS2" or "He is full of nothing and cant back it up". Well to put it out there I have tested my cheap games on Tons of PS2's out there and on different mods. The games that work on mine work the same on any modded PS2 I have tried within 2 years. I have a friend who works in the Sony network department in San Diego, California. With all the PS2's he has gotten for friends at a discount and the four I have had in the past years, plain and simple, cheap media does work.

**The games I have are not pressed so dont say they are, for those of you who know what I am talking about**

About DVD R+, yet another theory very wrong and most likely gotten from the internet like so much of the information posted in the forums. DVD R+ is not even that compatable with the new versions of the PS2! Actually I personally tested this myself, for every 5 DVD R+ games I tested on new modded PS2's many did not play and some did. This has been tested on about 10 different mods both National and International. THe ones that play on the newer version HAVE (but not guarnteed) a chance to play on the older versions perfectly well. Some that did work on the new version worked on the older ones too, but I have not figured out why some dont work on the older ones at the same time. In mention, save a headache and just burn to DVD R- mediocre media and dont worry about any issues.

Next! Tired of reading just yet? Sorry but trying to help the guy out there who is average and makes a living and cant afford reaaly expensive costs in backing up his DVD games.

THERE IS NO 100% sure fire way of backing up YOUR DVD PS2 game! There is not, dont listen to anyone who says there is! All the methods that are here and posted are those that worked for many people or some people for some games. Anyone who says that they have burned 50 games from 20 different companies if full of it. Due to encryption and coding, there is no one ultimate program that will burn every game or majority of them. There are theories and ideas, and people with success, but as many of you know, you read the tutorial, it worked for them and not for you, you even have a bteer set up then they do, high quality everything, and look, you got a coaster. I am sorry but burning games is trial and error, just try different methods for games that did not work with one certain method. It's long and hard, better yet ask waht game or games was burned using someones method. You dont even have to listen to me in this post, read all the errors for burning PS2's in this forum and aruond the forum, see how many people say i got the same set up and did what you said and i still ahve an error or it wont play, and then see how many responses they get about bad media, or wrong settings. There is no perfect method for this so dont go getting postal on backing up your PS2 DVD games. Be patient!

For the moderators and Admins, this is not one persons exp. in this topic here, nor am I here to flame, but I have gone through your boards and find it displeasing that you recommend in lots of cases upgrading hardware, using pricy media, etc.. The cause of the problem is not this IN MOST CASES! It can be in some, but generally and throught the net, and gaming world all around it is not.

*****FYI*****
    Alright here for all of you who dont know or anyone who thinks or has heard otherwise! YOU ARE ONLY ALLOWED TO MAKE ONE BACK UP COPY OF A GAME YOU OWN! The copy MUST be a direct copy from the game you OWN yourself! The law states that any other means (such as downloading or copying another disc even if its the same as yours) IS ILLEGAL! So what am I saying. Do not download a copy of your game off the internet! Do not buy a back up of your game thats has been copied from a dsic other then yours! Dont burn a game you dont own! Dont copy your friends game because you own the same one but he has a DVD burner so he burned his copy for you! IT IS ALL ILLEGAL! Should you sell your ORIGINAL! You MUST, package your back up copy with it during the sale (as you are surrendering ownership and rights of the back up to the new buyer or trader, etc..) or you MUST destroy the back up if you dont feel like giving the person the copy! READ THE LAW! KNOW THE LAW! I cant stress this information enough!

(Why do I mention this and am I perfect? No I am not and I guarntee most of the posters that know how to back up own an illegal copy of something. I mention it because it may help you out down the line if your ever in a jam! Just dont come to me if the FEDS are knocking on your door)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2004
  2. pragora

pragora Member

Hmmmm..... While reading a thread about Unbiased and Opinion, I find it to be with error. So I say this to those of you who did not get a chance to respond to thread before it was closed. If someone says a "Flip top sucks" they are right because for them it did. Even if they go elsewhere and repeat it numerous times, that person is giving their own opinion and displeasure for the "Flip Top". Why do I mention this, because it is these little comments that get people wondering "Should I get it?" or "Does it really suck and thats why I am having issues with mine?". As long as now one is flaming someone or making a direct insult to someone there really is no reason to omit or delete someones post.

Now the idea that people get tired of reading things like that..... Well thats just peoples own fault. First you can always scroll to the next comment, not take the comment personally, after all it is not that someone is saying you suck they are sommenting on a product sucking. Most of all, to prevent things like that, why not just create a comparison post about products, and close the thread? Those who are intrested in troubleshooting or looking for comparisons can look at a closed post that has no opinions. Those who wish to comment or place an opinion, good or not, can do so in open threads.

Actually omitting post because of being tired of reading things like bad opinions is really bad. Most forums dont even do that unless its a direct attack at someone. Not flaming or trying to start a argument here, but really, please read the def. of Bias and Opinion. They are very different. Like the old saying goes, "Everyone has an opinion, just like everyone has a bellybutton". Your entitled to it, as long as you dont direct it to a personal matter. So I say, feel free to say what you want about this post or information. If you have a bad opinion, rather then having it delted I ask that it be left here so I can try to back up what i mention on here in a reasonable way and timely manner.

-Peace Out PEEPS, we live in a free country, thats what makes the US so special :D

3. BlackIce1

BlackIce1 Guest

dude holly shit... fuckin go write a fucked up book or someshit but wow u got problems...

4. VOD3N05

VOD3N05 Guest

LOL...
    Nice one, BlackIce 1

5. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Everybody's entitled to their opinions. I don't agree 100% with everything he said but there was nothing wrong with what was posted with regard to forum policy.

6. pragora

pragora Member

LOL, I got problems? Nah, I just wrote in response to actually tons of forum users in here that make comments and get the same ol' this is your issue and what not. Write a book? Looking around at some other post, mine is actually not as long as some other ones that I read that actually have no discussion on the forum topic, but yeah I like to write lots just because I type really fast and speak my mind! Maybe I could have written a longer post just to please you! Or even an e-book! In all seriousness though I dont got problems LOL, just sitting here posting in a different forum for once. :D

7. zxspeky

zxspeky Regular member

I am entitled to my belly button, and I have never directed it to a personal matter.....................

8. Ender88

Ender88 Regular member

You say all of this as if it were 100% Truth. My PS2 can't read TDK, Princo and has a hard time with Ritek but it reads LeadData perfectly. Sure it is in most cases cheaper than the other media, but this is just my case. It could very well be that my PS2 only reads TDK and not LeadData. And I do have over 50 games from a wide variety of companies and have never come across a game that I couldn't backup, I guess that makes me full of it?

9. pragora

pragora Member

Actually I was not able to edit my post, what I ment was there is no one that has backed up thats many games from that many different companies using only one program to do it. If that is the case, then yes I would say your full of it. Sorry but it is not possible. You could back up lots of games from the same company or even a few different ones, but not all burnware supposrt all types of DVD encrytion from the seperate video game companies. I know for a fact that it is not possible yet for one burn program to burn all games from all makers of video games out there on the market. Different companies you different decoding tools even DVD drivers at that, which also affects your burning. I believe you when you say you burned what you say you have, but you used more then one program to brun that many games from different companies.

100% true take it or not, I myself use TDK, Sony, and chep media from Asia, since I do tak trips there, and have never had a problem with those either on different consoles with different mods. I will say that there is always exceptions but as much testing as I have done with other employees of Sony and friends about here in the States and Asia, what I say I back up with the support of atleast a 100 people to vouch for my information. Take it or leave it as you wish. I did however have an error in my post that I was not able to correct, and I do apologize, I should have proof read it more then I did.

10. pragora

pragora Member

FYI, incase you did not read after my comment that I did error on, I said there is no one Ultimate program for doing the burning.

11. Ender88

Ender88 Regular member

I have made backups of these games with LeadData and DVDDecrypter on this very computer and have never once had a problem (the CD based games were amde with Alcohol 120):
    007: Everything or Nothing (Online Enabled)
    AirForce Delta Strike
    Arc the Lad
    ATV Offroad Fury
    Armored Core: Silent Line
    Battlestar Galactica
    Beyond Good and Evil
    Devil May Cry
    Drakengard
    DRIV3R
    F1 Formula One 2001
    Fight Night 2004 (Online Enabled)
    Freedom Fighters
    Front Mission 4
    GameShark 2 v3
    Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
    Hitman: Contracts
    ICO
    Italian Job
    Jak II
    Kill.Switch
    Kinetica
    Legacy of Kain: Defiance
    LifeLine
    Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (Online Enabled) (Not in Binder)
    Mafia
    Manhunt
    Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
    Mega Man X7
    Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (Not in Binder)
    Need For Speed: Underground (Online Enabled) (Not in Binder)
    Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
    Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy
    Rainbow Six 3 (Online Enabled)
    Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando
    Red Dead Revolver (Not in Binder)
    Red Faction
    Red Faction II
    Rise to Honor
    R-Type Final
    Secret Weapons Over Normandy
    Shinobi
    Silent Hill 3
    Soul Calibur II
    Spider-Man 2
    Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow (Online Enabled)
    State of Emergency
    Syphon Filter: The Omega Strain (Online Enabled)
    The Suffering
    Way of the Samurai 2
    XIII (Online Enabled)
    Zone of the Enders
    Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner

And you didn't address what I said about media. My PS2 cant read TDK

So you tell me, am I BSing it?

12. Xian

Xian Regular member

I have to disagree with that statement. I have had my PS2 for nearly 4 years, buying a game every couple weeks. I own nearly 100 games. I have personally backed up every one of those games that were DVD based with DVD Decrypter and never used another program at all. ISO read, ISO write - no other method involved. I have also backed up my niece's collection for her, another 25 games or so since she doesn't have a DVD burner. I have never had any problems at all using Ritek G04 with a Pioneer 105 burner. Out of the 100+ backups I have made only two have failed and they were on different media.

13. zxspeky

zxspeky Regular member

yeah I agree, this guy doesn't really know what he's talking about, I have backed up 50+ of my own games, and a good couple of dozen for a neihgbour who doesn't have a burner, I used alcohol 120 for all of them, with no prob's, the only trouble I've had was with some swisstech dvd's that erased themselves after a couple of months

14. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

i also have to disagree with pragora statment about having to use different software for backing up different company games my backup of ps2 games now exceeds 80 games and all of the dvd based games where copied by record now max and burnt with my pioneer dvd writer, these backups also include import games from the usa and japan, all my backups have been burnt on ritek dye based discs(usualy g03 or g04)

15. datatrek

datatrek Member

The only program I use to backup my PS2 games is DVD Decryptor and it has worked everytime. I have started to use Cheap Media and I was having problems with playing the games, but I use brand name media and have not had a single problem.

16. Motomatt

Motomatt Regular member

I agree with you guys.. I have also used the same burning program since day 1.. For my XBOX and my PS2.. No problems at all..

Matt

17. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

i got over 200 games the originals i keep in a safe belive or not... in the past 4 years iv been dealing with the ps2 i had no problems doing backups of games... not even one problem... all my backups made with 120%...

theres also few pionts i want to say...

the maker of the dvdr can be gorge bush for all i care... no one actauly cares for that one... each ps2 behaves diffrently... hell mine reads tdk ritek and virbatim the rest it dont even play... and that goes for both of my ps2s v7 v9 both modded... im not sayin that cheap brand dont work... its just usualy people buy the branded disks more than the non branded.... another point is about dvd+r again each to theyr own... my ps2 likes dvd+r both of them i got plenty movies that are on dvd+r n about 15 games on dvd+r... they all play nice... my v9 even reads RW and thats quite nice feature... you could easly avoid the problem with bitsetting while burning... today i recive Pioneer DVR-A08XLB and burnt me xenosaga on a DL dvd+r... the burner auto changed the booktype to dvd-rom insted of dvd+rom this dosent happens on my other burner the liteon sohw.... and guess what? the game PLAY... even tho people STILL say ps2 will not read dvd+r dl....

P.S.

you just sum up everything that been said on the forum for along time.. maybe you didnt notice but... all you said already been said lol..
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    need help?... click... >>>>>> http://tinyurl.com/43d2q <<<<< must have mirc installed to work....[/small]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2004
  18. Motomatt

Motomatt Regular member

Cyprien,

The only thing I have ever used in my PS2 is +R DVD media. Do alot of people really have trouble with it ?

Matt

19. Ender88

Ender88 Regular member

........yes

20. zxspeky

zxspeky Regular member

strange how pragora hasn't come back with any more smart arse replies!, I think he came to this forum to try and prove something, only he has failed, as the opinion of the rest of the posters to this thread have proved him (as much as he thinks he's right) to be wrong