1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

On Sony DRU-510a Recordnow DX 4.6 STOPS RESPONDING after opening - tried everything

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by hierloom, Feb 28, 2004.

1. hierloom

hierloom Member

I'm using a new SOny DRU-510A burner. As soon as I double click the Recordnow DX (veritas) software icon, about 5 seconds later it stops responding. It doesn't even open the program, it stops responding right after I doulbe click the icon and the little loading screen shows up.

I have tried everything, and Sony doesn't seem to be able to help. I've tried everything they've suggested, and nothing has been successfull. I'm starting to think an essential windows file was accidentally erased. Though, I don't know how to go about looking for the one, if there was one, that was deleted, and recover it.

I've tried; uninstalling and reinstalling, updating ATAPI, updating the ikernal engine, updating the Px engine for the burner, updating the firmware for the Sony DRU-510A drive, made sure i was running ServicePack1 for Win XP home, shut off all screen savers, have no previous burning programs, made sure drive was installed as master.

Also, I've used the software and hardware before and it was perfectly fine, then one time recently when i tried to open it, it stopped responding. The drive still reads discs though. AHHHHHH !

I am at my wits end. If anyone can offer any help, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

- sean

2. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Have you tried System Restore?

3. Matador

Matador Regular member

System Restore doesn't work, it's just a waste of disk space.

Try removing Recordnow DX and install Nero 6.Go to the sony storage site and download DSS[Drive Speed Selector].

Check if u got the drive set to DMA.IF so then try to witch it to PIO only.

Go to Device manager>IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers>Secondary IDE Channel then properties.
    Select "Advanced Settings" Change the transfer mode for Device 0 & 1.

Restart PC.Start up nero, and hopefully it will work

4. MysticE

MysticE Active member

A very intersesting blanket statement. Too bad you are wrong. I'm sure the millions who have solved problems like this would have a good laugh. Not everyone wants to play around and or reformat when a simple previous restore point will set things right.

And I beleive this is the first time I've heard someone recommend running a burner in PIO mode, not DMA. I guess it will give you time to sit back and read a good book.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2004
  5. Damon1

Damon1 Regular member

I have a 510a burner myself, (although I haven't had too much trouble) some other people here at aD seem to be having trouble with getting there 510a to burn. so far it seems that these issues are/could? be causing the prob.

1. firmware: some of the sony firmware update's don't seem to be too stable, but 1.0f seems to be alright and 1.0c is suppose to be the cleanest (I use it and it still seems to work with newer dvd-r standards).

2. Some people have had their 510a selected as the drive that windows uses for it's own cd-rw burning engine. It makes windows think the drive only can burn cd's and not dvd's. go to my computer, right click your 510a icon, click properties, go to the recording tab, and if the "enable cd recording" is ticked, untick it. That won't completely solve your prob, next go to device manager, uninstall your 510a, then reinstall it. Problem solvered! lol!

3. If you installed the veratis packet writing software, I think it's called DLA, install it, most packet writing software seems to cause probs.

4. make sure DMA is enabled, it definitely works better for sony drives.

5. Check in your BIOS setup that the drives set to "automatically detected" or something similar.

6. If you can, make sure your optical drives are on their own IDE channel, not with your hard drive. Optical drives have a much longer seek time than hard drives, so performance will increase if you seperate them. Also make sure your burner is installed as the master and not the slave, and I prefer to have the jumper settings to master and slave, not cable select.

7. If you haven't already (I didn't understand if you meant the you uninstalled/reinstalled thje drive or the software?) uninstall, then reinstall recordnow.

Also check these link to other threads where other people have had similar probs.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/1/71239#369160

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/1/71497#369133

6. hierloom

hierloom Member

Damon, thank you so fusking much. My goodness, I thought i was going to go in freaking sane. I did all of what you recommended, as well as the recommendations from some of the threads that you also suggested. I believe it was a program conflict... as well as the firmware of my Sony drive. -- Hopefully I don't have any other problems with this drive.

Thanks so much again ! Thank you all for your help and support. I appreciate it.

/ Sean

7. Damon1

Damon1 Regular member

No worrys, glad to help, mate