1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

On the fly burns with an IDE interface and USB 2.0 Interface

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by jd-, Mar 10, 2005.

1. jd-

jd- Member

I currently have 2 pioneer dvr-108s in my main computer, but nothing on my laptop. I am considering getting a new USB 2.0 enclosure to put one of them in, so I can use it both on my main computer, and also on my laptop, I was wondering if anybody here had experience doing this as I currently do it fine, but if the USB 2.0 would cause problems doing on the flys from the IDE burner to the USB 2.0 burner I would probably have to consider getting both a new enclosure AND a new burner.
    I have an amd xp 3200 with 1gb pc3200 ram and 6 onboard usb 2.0 ports.
    So yeah, anybody done this? works well? any problems?

thanks guys.

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

umm ummm 4 words

Not a Good Idea :)

3. jd-

jd- Member

why not a good idea... if i can do it fine and maintain 95%+ buffer doing it now? on the fly can't be that bad can it? i mean if it was why would they have duplication towers...

please some more info...

4. baabaa

baabaa Active member

On the fly is always risky even from IDE to IDE.

When you insert another controlled device in the loop and controller and another speed rated bus then it can actually increase (and will) buffer activity.
    And also there is the programs ability to either 'take control' of the USB transfer of whether it asks the OS to control it instead and therefore the program is controlling the OS to control the USB.

If your laptop has this capability then it may yield good results with no problems.......

But as bbmayo states......maybe not a good idea, but worth a go I think.

I know others have used that to some good effect, but it does depend on your PC architecture.........and the only way to find that out is to try..........

5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Couldn't have said it better myself baabaa.. :)
    IDE to USB is even harder than IDE to IDE because you have two different controllers trying to comunicate with each other, but It is possible. I didn't say not to do it, but it just wouldn't be reccomended. Besides how much time do you really save burning on the fly? If you can do it and get perfect backups then by all means knock your self out :)

6. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

jd, you'd best start reading this little lot -

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/102002

and they're not even doing on-the-fly :)

I myself use a belkin usb2.0 enclosure for my cdrw/dvd rom combo drive, i use it for ALL my dvd ripping, it flies at ripping 98% of the time

there was another epic thread on this subject but can't remember where it is/what website forum it is

Rich

Last edited: Mar 16, 2005
  7. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Yes bbmayo....

Actually thinking about it, if you are running dual cpu's or a Hyper threaded system with a nice load of fast ram I think it would breeze it.

However for a laptop, it may struggle, but it may also work very well, I am pretty sure if it was a celeron based laptop then it would struggle due to the cache limits.

I have a celeron in my laptop and dvdrw but I am going to purchase a USB external dvdrw in the next couple of weeks, so I think I shall try it out and see what results I get.............

It may work well, but we'll see............and that would be good.......lol

I shall post back when I get it.

Catch you later............

8. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I'm subscribing to this 'cos I want to know how you guys get on. I did "I Robot" on the fly, it worked, but I am not sure if I would want to risk it, I use RWs, so I may give it another whirl!!

Pulsar

9. baabaa

baabaa Active member

LOL, well looking at your PC specs, I am surprised you couldn't rip burn and do a little dance all at the same time............................

Pulsar did you use a USB external to do it on the fly or did you use one of your 'many' arsenal of drives....?, and is one of these indeed USB

10. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Hi Pulsar!! :)

Hey I wouldn't recomend it, but I burn on the fly just fine ;-) I have never had a problem with it as long as your system is running smoothly and you use decent media it shouldnt be a problem.. Again i wouldn't recomend any one do it though I just wanted to make that clear.. LOL :)

11. pulsar

pulsar Active member

They are all IDE burners. I'm not brave enough to get an enclosure yet. My IDE card will let me connect up to another 2 burners, & I intend to get another 75gig raptor. The case I have is not big enough! I read that Macs can get 15000rpm HDs, boy, that IS fast!

I have made a second PC with the bits left over. It has a 2600 Athlon, 160 gig HD, 1gig 333RAM & my trusty Sony510a burner - my very first!- still burns like "a good 'un!". It's always handy having a back up! I, sometimes like to break from convention & try other things just for the hell of it. Like burning on the fly. The only problem is that it uses a lot of compute time!

Pulsar

Last edited: Mar 16, 2005
  12. jd-

jd- Member

thanks for the information, yeah i doubt i do on the fly on my laptop, it has a toshiba 16x dvd-rom though, but just 512mb ram and on an amd 2400 xp-m

my desktop however i think i will give it a shot at, i use TDK 8x DVD-R media and Ritek G05 8x and when doing on the fly. I burn at 8x from a pioneer dvr-108 to another pioneer dvr-108 connected on seperate IDE channels right now, the buffer and system usage is no difference i can tell from burning an image off one of the hdds. even if it doesn't work, i think it will be worth the investment, so thanks for the information :D

13. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Just did "Wasabi" on the fly to 2 of my burners with alcohol. They both work a treat! I might try more of this on the fly business! I kept my maximum speed to 4x BTW.

Pulsar