1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Once you've downloaded a torrent, what do you DO with it?

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by ulricburk, Dec 26, 2009.

1. ulricburk

ulricburk Member

Dear Anyone.

Hokay. First ever time using torrents here. I downloaded the .torrent of the film I wanted, put it into Vuze, waited the requisite 4.5 hours (AREN'T torrents SLOOOW - no wonder they've never really taken off!) and ended up with a stack of .RAR files, 16 of them to be precise.

So I opened the first one and extracted the vid. from it. They're .RARs, so they work like dominoes, when the first one's unpacked, the next one unpacks automatically and so on. Except these didn't. I ended up with 836 megs of film, even though the file size in the .RAR file said 730,376. It's a .WMV film, so I tried opening it in Windows Media Player and nothing happened. Tried VLC, normally reliable, and got a big coloured splodge. No movement or sound, just a big splodge of colours like an explosion in a paintworks.

So I opened the 02 .RAR file and tried extracting the film from that. Now what I was expecting, of course, was an error message saying I couldn't do that, I must start from an earlier .RAR file (number 1, of course!) But I didn't. It extracted another little bit of film, it was about 836 bytes again, and that wouldn't play in anything either.

So OK. When you've downloaded your torrent, I mean the actual P2P files, (the 16 .RAR files I have now) what are you supposed to do with them so they join together into an actual movie? I've tested one of the .RAR files in a .RAR file fixer and it says 'Nothing to fix', which means, I hope, that the file itself is fine.

Anyone got any ideas?

Yours head-scratchingly

ulricburk
  2. AfterDawn

AfterDawn Advertisement

3. wabashman

wabashman Active member

just download the correct codecs and that movie will play. the reason the video size is larger than the download is due to compression when using winrar to split a file up into .rars.
  4. andypints

andypints Member

LOL..

Delete all your unpacked files and start again, this time select all the rar files at the same time (i usually use the shift key) then unpack them all at the same time, this should leave you with just the 1 media file, that should open with VLC player..

You can then delete the rar files when you have finished seeding..

I obviously dont know which film you downloaded or where you got it from, but some of the bigger torrents sites are super quick for me, and 1gb shouldn´t take more than half an hour with a 10Mb connection, especially if its a recent film...
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  5. ulricburk

ulricburk Member

Dear Andypints.

How the heck have you gotten your hands on a 10meg connection? My broadband's 4.7 meg (it's supposed to be 5 meg but it's never gotten there in its life!) and I feel lucky to have that much!

The help was great, thanks for that. What torrent sites do you use for things?

Yours respectfully

ulricburk
  6. wabashman

wabashman Active member

you dont need to select them all before unpacking. clicking on the first file will work just fine.
  7. ulricburk

ulricburk Member

Exce[t, as you'll see in my original thread - it isn't!

I KNOW just choosing the first one should automatically start up the other RARs That's what was puzzling me - it wasn't happening. Double-clicking on the first was just extracting the first little nugget of film which wasn't even playing properly - it looked like someone had nuked a paint factory.

I'm trying to find out a codec which'll at least play them but I think I'm on a loser with this bunch. Do you think - I don't know anything much about torrents - something in the torrent's download could have corrupted the .RARs? I dunno. First torrent, and it's a puzzler.

Yours respectfully

ulrichburke
  8. scum101

scum101 Guest

it's more likely what you have downloaded is some garbage put there by the studios to trap the unwary. .. always read the comments.
  9. badimalex

badimalex Guest

SPAM removed
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2010
  10. lubricant

lubricant Guest

winrar or 7 zip, make sure the files are .rar .r01, .r02, etc. or something like that, and all together in the folder. unzip. wmv shoudlnt need any funky codecs i dont think.

sorry if it doesent help