1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One email until you check the thread.

Discussion in 'AfterDawn feedback & suggestions' started by ABMone, Mar 8, 2004.

1. ABMone

ABMone Guest

Couldn't the email notifying you of an updated thread just get sent once until you check it instead of getting like 20 emails on a hot topic.

Do you know what i mean?

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Yes, I know what you mean and that is planned functionality for v3.1 (current version being v3.0 of the forums).

There are couple of problems with that one, most notably with the tracking of did you visit the link or not. Imagine that you receive a notification for a thread that you really want to follow. But at that time you happen to be visiting our forums and haven't logged in yet, but decide to "manually" locate the thread in question and read the latest posts and never bother visiting the link you received in the email. In this case, the thread can receive 275,000 emails during the next 200 days and you will never receive even a single notification email as you didn't visit the link in the email (that included the tracking parameter to tell our site that you've visited the thread) and didn't visit the thread while logged in (in which case site would also recognize your login and mark that you've read the thread at that stage).

3. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

...over my head...

Although, my guess is that more people would rather have the single email and take the chance with the thread (chances are they will come across it when browsing) being updated by other users without notification.

4. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

I can be fast when needed. Now this has been changed for good. How does it work now:

You get one notification email per day per thread no matter how many posts there are posted to the thread, unless you visit the thread meanwhile. If you visit the thread, the "counter" gets zeroed and you will receive a new notification next time someone posts a msg to the thread.

5. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Holy Crap....a request made on the 9th March 20004 was carried out on the 9th March 2004??? It doesnt make sense, usually it takes a long time. dRD - You have outdone yourself my friend *Pat on Back*

6. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

This is great, it really confused me and I wondering if I wasn't getting all the e-mails.
    Alittle disorenting, but now I really love this new feature. Thanks!!!